Thursday, July 5, 2012

Homemade strawberry jam {deliciously low-sugar!!}

Before you can start making jam, you've got to go berry picking. :)  Having a couple of eager helpers is always a plus...





In the past I've always used whatever pectin I could find at my local grocery store (MCP, Certo, etc.). A few weeks ago while I was checking my canning supplies for the coming season, I took a look at an MCP pectin box leftover from last year and was shocked at how much sugar is required for one small batch of jam!

 

Thankfully, I found a pectin that required far less sweetener...



Comparing the yield per box (cups of finished jam) as well as the amount of sugar required, I decided to give the Pamona's brand a try since I really wanted to try making a lighter-sugar jam this year. Much to my delight, the instructions inside the box revealed that even less sugar could be used per batch -- we used only 3/4 cup organic sugar per 4 cups of mashed strawberries and are extremely happy with the results!



What you'll need to make up a batch for yourself:

1 box Pamona's Universal Pectin (prepared according to package instructions)
16 c. hulled, rinsed, & mashed strawberries (organic is best!)
3 c. organic sugar
Canning jars, lids, & rings (18 cup size, 9 pint size, or a combination of the two)
Water bath canner

For the "how to," watch the following informative and extremely well-done video from Pamona's:


Happy jam making!

~Lisa

Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley! To join us on our journey, look to the upper right to follow or subscribe. :)

Visit our Homemade Pantry page for more wholesome homemade recipes. :)

17 comments:

  1. Looks good. Enjoy your day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks so nice ! Mine always separates into jam and jelly regardless of the sweetener I use. I can't figure out why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, That happened to me, too. When I noticed that the jam was settling into two distinct layers, I gently shook each jar (they had cooled enough to be handled and the jars had sealed) until things looked well-blended. After that, the jam didn't separate. Another interesting point to make is that the excess jam that didn't make it into a jar to be processed (it went into a jar for immediate use) didn't separate. I figured my experience was a fluke, but apparently not. We'll be making blueberry and raspberry jam soon, and if the separation thing happens again, I'll be contacting Pamona's to see if it's a common problem and what they might recommend.

      Hope you're enjoying the summer weather we're finally getting! ~Lisa

      Delete
    2. I just made raspberry freezer jam with honey and the Pomona pectin and it didn't seperate. I did cook it down a little. Let me know how yours turns out!

      Delete
    3. Joanna, The same thing happened with my latest jam making, so I do plan to see if I can talk to someone at Pamona's to see what they have to say. I did the same thing as I did with my strawberry jam (shake when slightly cooled), and everything stayed nicely blended. Weird to say the least! The jam is delicious, though, and I love that it's low sugar, so I'll keep using it for sure.

      Thanks for letting me know about your freezer jam experience! Will let you know what I hear or learn from Pamona's.

      Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. Lisa, I did a post a while back (year ago, or more) about making low-sugar jam with agar-agar...I will repost it today (Friday, 7/6/12), you could have a look. We loved the jam it made, and SUPER low sugar!

    Blessings,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I look forward to checking out your post and recipe/method! :)

      ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. Oh my! That looks good! I'm going to have to see if I can find this kind of pectin. I love, love, love strawberry jam on warm bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Pamona's at our local health food store, Shara; hope you can find some! ~Lisa

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I'm going to do an online search and see what pops up.

      Delete
  5. This looks sooooooooooooo de-lish! I pinned it for later. I am now going out to pick some strawberries. [o= I think I will have to pick and freeze each day to save up for enough to make some. Patience is a virtue. [o=

    Praying you are having a ton of fun with your visitors.
    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! That's a good idea about picking and freezing your strawberries as they ripen. I'll have to do the same with some of mine (although we'll likely eat most of them fresh since they're so good that way!). ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious, Lisa...and your sweet children helping is an added blessing. :) I've been making red raspberry jelly, thanks to my sweet hubby who picked 3 gallons of raspberries for me - in the 108-degree heat. :)
    Hope you're having a blessing-filled week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 108? Ugh! Raspberry is next for us, too -- yum!

      Delete
  7. This helpful how-to I will try. The last post... I'm just thankful there are people who do it for me! I'm not that brave. As for the outfit? I think you look great!! :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. :) Really, the chicken is so delicious that it makes it worth it, but I know I could not handle doing the processing thing very often to be sure.

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...