Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The 1st Day of School

Today was the first day of school here in Dole Valley. I woke Danny and Anna up at 7 a.m. and told them it was time to wake their sleepy selves up for the new day. When they came downstairs a few minutes later, they both climbed into the recliner where I was sitting, and we had a few minutes to visit before they got busy with their animal chores.

It wasn't too long after they'd gone outside that Danny came running in exclaiming that he just had to take some pictures of the amazing sunrise and asked if it would it be ok if he took the camera out. What mom could say no to such enthusiasm? When they came in for breakfast, Danny told me I just had to post his pictures on the blog. Anna informed me that she had taken one of the shots, but we don't know which one, so we'll attribute the photos to both of them.

Keep in mind that since we live in a valley, the sunrise for us is when the sun comes up over some nearby mountains that we can't really see since they are blocked by trees. Danny loves the way the light is coming through the tree branches.

Beautiful, huh?

After breakfast, we had devotions, the kids practiced piano and did their inside chores, and then we got busy with the academics. We took a break for lunch and ate together out on the front porch, then finished our first day with some history read-alouds. I wouldn't give this up for anything, for the time I have with my children is priceless.

During the kids' piano and chore time, I went upstairs and listened to the President's speech to school children which was broadcast live on the radio. While it was surely inspirational to many, many folks across the country, to me it was a call to continue doing just what we do -- home school. Dan and I are not educating our children for the future of the country, the government, or the economy, we are educating our children to the glory of God.

"Hear O Israel: the LORD our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." Deut. 6:4-7

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys had such a great first day of school! It sounds like a nice time to me. :D The pictures were beautiful, Danny and Anna both have a great eye for good photo opportunities! And I would have to agree with you on the President's speech: I read it online a few nights ago and just couldn't figure out a way to express my thoughts on it, but you hit the nail on the head. We should educate our children for God's glory, as you said, not just for the glory of our country. Hope you are all having a good night out there!
    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. D & A will love your comment on their "great eye" for photo ops. :) Can't wait to see that new apartment, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Well, they justly deserve high praise, I loved their pictures! maybe Jeff and I will have to hold some sort of housewarming party after we move, we are so excited to hurry up and get over there into our new place! After today we will be able to move, hooray! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...