Friday, September 4, 2009

"Most things are difficult...

...before they are easy" So said the over-priced wall plaque at a fancy gift shop in Pacific City. Another plaque had this message: "Eat, drink & be merry, for tomorrow we may diet." I think I kinda like the second one better because it's so much easier to swallow (no pun intended). ;)

The ladies of the discipleship group Dan and I belong to at our church met on Monday of this week to finish a study of the book Feminine By Design by Scott Brown (which you can purchase here or here). It was a beautiful thing to be a part of the discussion and to hear the testimonies of wives and daughters striving for femininity, to have submissive hearts and minds, and to have meek and quiet spirits. And as I sat listening to these ladies, I became more and more convicted of the fact that I am certainly lacking in the area of having a meek and quiet spirit.

It's interesting to note that although this short volume was written mainly as a help for fathers and mothers in the raising and training of their daughters, it spoke to this (almost) 46 year old in ways I had not expected. And so I guess this book is for moms as much as it is for daughters. :) There are many gems of wisdom (all backed by scripture) contained therein, therefore, I can whole-heartedly recommend it to all women desiring to grow in their walks - their callings - before God.

But about the plaques, yes, most things are difficult before they are easy. At least they are for a stubborn, task-oriented woman like me. It is difficult, yet humbling, to realize how very far I have to go - there isn't a check-off box for "meek and quiet spirit!" (Ok, I've got that item crossed off my list, what's next?) And so, I do what is hard for my sin nature and run with endurance the race that is set before me (Heb. 12:1). After all, His yoke is easy and His burden is light. (Matt. 11:30)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honesty and encouraging words Lisa. I wish there were more chapters in the book so we could continue the study as it was truly a delight to be encouraged by the Word in our roles as women. I do pray that we will all persevere in the roles God has called us to and that we will hold each other accountable to them, especially to the meek, and quiet spirit which God desires in all of His daughters.

    Carry on in the Lord,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...