Thursday, October 15, 2009

Count your blessings...

So I was thinking this morning how blessed I am by having such a great family, a great church, and great friends. I have 2.5 acres out in the foothills, a beautiful home, and a husband and children who love me. Because of all these blessings, I also have what seems like an overabundance of things to do - all the time! And all from the hand of God. So, like I was saying, I was thinking this morning. And what I thought is this: if only I could freeze time - make it stop for about two weeks so that I might (emphasis on might) catch up. My problem is a misguided notion that I'm supposed to catch up.

Sometimes we can get caught up in the details and lose sight of the big picture. What is the chief end of man? Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.

And so as I'm plowing through my to-do list each day, and a sigh escapes my lips a little too loudly so that my children hear it and ask, "What's wrong, Mom?" I sigh again. Then, as RCJR says, I repent and believe the gospel. I tell them they've caught me complaining in my mind about whatever it is I was doing, and then I point to a sign I have hanging in my kitchen that says:

"Do all things without complaining or disputing!" Philippians 2:14

The funny thing is that most people who visit our home would assume that sign is hanging there as a reminder for my children, when in reality, it is a reminder for their mother. Over a year ago I purchased a decorative lettering kit to put on the wall above my kitchen sink that says "Count your blessings." Maybe it's time to put it up as a reminder that all my "to-do's" are also blessings and that my chief end is not to get it all done.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate, Mrs. Seifert. :-)

    Lately it seems like I have been overwhelmed with responsibilities, but at the same time, I've been overwhelmed with a realization of how blessed I am. I've been feeling... thankful, which is odd because thanksgiving is still a month away. ;-)

    ~AndraLeaRose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andra! Thanks for commenting. :)

    Funny how considering & counting our blessings can give us a proper perspective and cause us to have a thankful heart. I just love how God works in us like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...