Monday, October 26, 2009

Homemade Soap

Several Saturdays ago AnnaLynn and I attended a soap making class at the home of a friend from church (thanks, Tammy!). We learned about using lye, which oils to use, to NOT use any aluminum pots or spoons for mixing, and saponification (the process where the chemicals of the lye and oils actually become soap).

We also learned how to add essential oils and other natural additives such as lavender or oats to provide fragrance and make our soaps pretty while at the same time providing healthy benefits to our skin. We blended patchouli, an essential oil that provides a relaxing woodsy scent, along with a few drops of lemon oil for a refreshing top note. Ground oats for skin softening and whole oats for texture and appearance were stirred in just before pouring the liquid soap into molds. After 24 hours, we were able to un-mold our soap and slice it into bars...

When we trimmed the square soap bars, we had lots of scraps, so we used them to make soap balls. We shredded the scraps with a cheese grater then added a small amount of warm water to the shreds. Using our hands we made these cute soap balls (sort of like making meatballs). These were super easy to do and provided a nice way to avoid waste.

Here is a knitted cotton washcloth and crocheted cotton soap sack (or as my husband humorously calls them, "soap cozies.") which we hope to sell this fall when we participate in a couple of holiday bazaars along with some friends.


Needless to say, I've been super busy knitting and crocheting not only washcloths and soap "cozies," but also many, many hats. I'm hoping and praying my efforts can work into a home business to suppliment our home economy as well as provide an outlet for my need to knit. :)

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever get to go downtown Portland to get more supplies? I am still interested in making soap with you guys. :) These look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These look gorgeous and I'm sure they smell heavenly as well. I've always wanted to try making milk soap. I've tried some goats milk soap that was really nice! If you don't mind sharing, how much are you planning to sell these for? I might just have to buy one or two. I have a soft spot for handmade soap. Nothing more pampering than handmade soap and bath salts... Oh and a glass of wine never hurts either! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you. :)

    Christina, no, I haven't made it to Portland but plan to go soon. The store I want to visit is close to Exodus Provisions, so maybe you could go with me and we could visit both. One of these upcoming Saturdays, maybe?

    Chels, I'm thinking of asking $1 or $1.25 per bar of soap and would be happy to let you try a bar to see if you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...