Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sourdough English Muffins

Our family simply loves English muffins, especially the sourdough variety. :) Our favorites are the ones you can buy at Costco, but since they are kind of spendy, I decided to try making our own. As you can see from the photos below, English muffins are baked on a griddle rather than in the oven.

After allowing them to cool completely, I stored them in a Ziploc bag (putting half in the freezer).

Let me tell you, they went fast! So fast that I've since made up a second batch. Yum!


Sourdough English Muffins

1 pkg. yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. warm milk
1/2 c. sourdough starter (at room temp.)
1 T. sugar
3/4 t. salt
3.5 - 4 c. flour (I used a mix of unbleached white & whole wheat)
1/4 c. corn meal

Dissolve yeast in warm water; stir in milk, starter, sugar, salt, and 3.5 c. flour in Kitchen Aid mixer, adding flour as needed until dough does not stick to the bowl. Machine knead for a few minutes, then put dough into a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled (about an hour).

Punch down and turn out onto a board lightly covered with cornmeal. Roll out or pat dough until about 1/2" thick. Cut muffins using a floured 3" biscuit cutter; place muffins (cornmeal side up) on ungreased baking sheets lightly sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover lightly and let rise 30-45 min.

On a lightly greased griddle set to 275, bake muffins until light golden brown (about ten minutes on each side). Cool on racks. Make 12 - 14 muffins. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. YUM! I might have to come visit and get one of those since I don't know when I will make my own, lol! ;) They sure look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sprouted some wheat and I am going to try these today. [o= Praying you are all nice and cozy around the fireplace today.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to let us know how they turn out! :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12/18/2013

    Wow! I just got the first half of mine off the griddle, and the 2nd half are on now. I was a little concerned that they hadn't risen more before they went on; but was happy to see that they puffed up quite a bit while baking. We probably won't get around to trying these till breakfast tomorrow, but I fully expect to be making these on a regular basis now. Thanks so much for posting this! Michelle H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, Michelle! :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...