Monday, February 8, 2010

Sourdough Starter

For those of you who want to try making the yummy sourdough English muffins I posted about recently, here is the recipe - let me know how they turn out!

Heat 1 cup milk to between 90 and 100 degrees and stir in 3 tablespoons plain yogurt. Pour mixture into a warmed small glass bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set in a warm place (in your oven with the light on is a good place). After 18 - 24 hours, the starter should be good and thick and have a nice sour smell to it. :) Gradually add 1 cup all purpose flour into starter, and stir until smooth. Cover tightly and let stand in a warm place (80 - 100 degrees) until mixture is full of bubbles and smells nice and sour (about 2 - 5 days). Your starter is now ready to use!

To maintain your starter, replenish it each time you use it by adding a mixture of 1/2 cup each warm milk and flour after you've taken out the amount your recipe calls for. Cover and let stand in a warm place for several hours or overnight until the mixture is full of bubbles again. Store starter tightly covered in your refrigerator. Before using refrigerated starter, allow it to come to room temperature. If you're planning to make dough in the morning, leave your starter out overnight.

Recipe taken from Sunset Cook Book of Breads - Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I found it! I can't wait to make it soon. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, Mary, I'm so glad you found this! I'm using a different method for my starter and had forgotten all about this one! Let me know how yours turns out!

      ~Lisa

      Delete
    2. Would you email me your new way? I would love to see both before I start. [o=

      Blessings and ((HUGS))
      -Mary

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...