Saturday, February 27, 2010

Those "other" people...

A few more thoughtful words from Kelly at Generation Cedar...

Sometimes the smallest Word lodges itself and looms large in my heart…

“…having the form of godliness but denying its power…”

I tend to skip over this verse because, well you know, it’s about “those other people”.

“For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power.” 2 Timothy 3:2-6

(tap tap…) “unthankful, headstrong, lovers of pleasure”

How could those things be lumped in with “brutal and blasphemers”?

And He speaks so clearly–“Anyone who loves (fill in the blank) more than Me is not worthy of Me.”

I am unthankful when I complain about MY needs not being met. I am headstrong when I want MY way. I am a lover of pleasure when I choose ME over Him. Ick.

Oh yes, I can “look” godly. But do I live godly?

I am a “lover of self” each day that I don’t crucify my flesh. I am “one of those people” when I don’t deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him.

And it comes again–the beautiful irony of God’s Word:

If loving myself “denies the power of godliness” in my life, then dying to self brings it to life! POWER. The very thing I think I can achieve when I live in the flesh is the thing I lose.

What if we really died to live?

“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”

Daily. Thank you, Lord, for knowing I’m so forgetful that I need to start again every morning, And thank You that Your mercies are new!

1 comment:

  1. Amen. What a great reminder and so very humbling.

    Love you always,

    Jess~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...