Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm on a mission...

And the mission is...sourdough.
"The less-used your starter, the more liquid on top, the more sour it’s likely to be"

"Patience. Patience is key when baking sourdough bread"

"Feed your starter every day if it’s at room temperature or higher, with any grain and sometimes water"

"Store your starter in the fridge"

"Keep your starter warm"

"Be sure to feed your starter every time you take some out for baking"
The recommendations go on and on, and I won't bore you with all that I've read (and I've read a LOT). Suffice it to say that I'm determined to bake something that comes out of the oven looking like this:

Yes, I know it's not whole wheat, but doesn't it look good? I attempted a whole wheat sourdough on Saturday that wound up being fed to our hens (don't ask...). But since I'm on a mission, I'm giving it another try again today (only with white rather than whole wheat). My recipe calls for making a "sponge" (1 c. warm water, 1/2 c. starter, 2 c. flour) that has to rise for 6 - 8 hours. Stay tuned. :)

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I'm sure you know all this already but just in case it can help, I was on a website today and thought of you when I saw it.
    http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/03/guest-post-an-introduction-to-sourdough.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vanessa. :) Funny that she posted that yesterday - just in time for my "mission!" I'm looking forward to reading her post simply because my attempt at whole wheat sourdough over the weekend was a flop.

    For the record, my dough is on its second rise and is looking and smelling good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...