Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Brownies anyone?

Brownies with ice cream are the perfect dessert...for chocolate lovers like us anyway. I cut this recipe out of the newspaper a long time ago and tucked it away in my recipe files. I never baked them until recently and wish I hadn't waited so long. They are super-chocolaty, rich, moist, & thick; everything a brownie ought to be - truly brownie perfection! ;)

3 sticks unsalted butter
2 c. cocoa powder
2 T. vanilla (no imitation vanilla, please!)
6 eggs
2 c. white sugar
2 c. light brown sugar
2 c. flour
1 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350 & lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat, remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder; set mixture aside and allow to cool slightly. In the meantime, whisk the eggs together in a large bowl; stir in both sugars and vanilla. Add the butter/cocoa powder mixture, then fold in the flour & salt until just combined. (If desired, add a 12 oz. bag quality chocolate chips and/or a handful of toasted chopped walnuts after adding flour & salt.) Spread batter in the prepared 9 x 13 pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with a dish of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

As Andy Griffith would say, these are "Extra Good!"

Note: I am planning to try these with some healthy ingredient substitutions the next time I make them to ease my conscience: coconut oil, whole wheat flour, Rapidura sugar (or less sugar, maybe?).

7 comments:

  1. Yum! These were perfect jus the way you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They're our new family favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful! I love a good brownie! J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look SO GOOD! I'll have to bake them for my family soon. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh they look delicious! :) I'll have to try out your recipe, I LOVE brownies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are the best! Let me know if any of you try them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...