Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Clutter...

"Clutter is the poetry of our homes. It is an intimate view that is not always perfect--a few dishes in the sink, books piled next to the bed. Everything in its place may give a certain satisfaction, but a lived-in room exudes comfort and warmth." ~ Mary Randolph Carter

I am not one who is known for her clutter. But what is hidden behind a closed door to guests is exactly that...

A nightstand stacked high with books to read (if only I could stay awake through more than one page!), ironing waiting (and waiting) to be... ironed, a pile of clothing needing mending, various knitting and crochet projects that need to be completed, and yes, dishes in my sink.

Dishes in the sink cannot be hidden behind a closed door, although an old friend of mine used to throw a dishtowel over hers if company came by before her dishes were done. I now sometimes do this myself, although a few years ago I wouldn't have been caught with dirty dishes in my sink. There are simply too many more important things to do than the dishes, or sweeping the floor, or ironing, or wiping a counter (again). Yes, my clutter is showing.

Sometimes we put pressure on ourselves to make sure everything looks a certain way, but the strange reality is that we're really the only ones who ever notice when everything is not "perfect." Funny, isn't it? 

1 comment:

  1. So very true! Thanks I needed this....there is a little too much "poetry" going on for me right now. :) I love you my friend! J.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...