Friday, December 31, 2010

Teach me to number my days...


So teach us to number our days,
That we may gain a heart of wisdom.

~Psalm 90:12

The week before the new year is always a time of reflection. Looking back at the last 12 months of our accomplishments usually invokes a sense of pride and fulfillment -- if we've lived well and not wasted our days.

And while we're looking back (and maybe patting ourselves on our backs...), we should be sure to spend some time reflecting upon not only what went well but also what didn't go quite as planned.

It's important to spend some time asking ourselves questions like: What did we do? Where did we go? Who did we befriend? Who did we spend time with? What did we read? What did we learn? How did we spend our time? What are our goals? Who are we living for? Why do we do the things we do? Does it even matter?

The week before the new year is also one in which folks tend to sit themselves down and write out their resolutions for the coming year. At the top of my list of resolutions for 2011 is to live with a vision for the future while breathing in and enjoying the blessings God so graciously pours into my life each and every day.

Why? Because it's hard to slow down. Because it's easy to get lost in the tyranny of the urgent thinking the most important thing is to cross another item off my to-do list. Because it's easy to be busy, busy, busy and get lost in doing for others and forgetting to do for those I live with. Because it's hard to die to self.

I recently heard a song that hit me hard, literally caught my attention and stopped me in my tracks. I do not want to live with regret. I do not want to waste my days, hours, and minutes on that which is not eternally significant. I do not want to look back, even at yesterday, wishing I had done it differently.

And so at the risk of offending (and even shocking - yes, I really like this song...) some of my readers, I present for your consideration and enjoyment the following:


May God bless you all with an eternal perspective, and may His grace be poured out upon you in the coming year.

Happy New Year!

My apologies for the video not fitting properly. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...