Saturday, January 8, 2011

Contentment...

While Christmas shopping back in December, I stumbled upon a great sale on a four book devotional set focusing on contentment, joy, trust, and purity. (I paid only $20 for the complete set - what a deal!) Earlier this week I started in on the volume entitled contentment and have been encouraged and challenged. As I work my way through these four topics, I plan to occasionally share my thoughts as well as a thoughtful quote now and then and will begin with this from the introduction:

"Happiness, or contentment, comes from where we look and what we believe, not from what we have."

and this:

"We see it [contentment] as the consolation emotion we must settle for when actual happiness is lacking. 'I'm not really happy with the way things are, but I'm content for now.' Yet contentment and happiness are one and the same if we understand these words from a biblical perspective and orient our lives there."

The consolation emotion? Ouch! I'm afraid those words are more true for many of us than we'd like to admit (at least they are and have been for me). May I more and more look to my Heavenly Father and His promises rather than to my circumstances. Not that my circumstances are bad, or difficult, or desperate. Sometimes the grass seems greener, you know? To recognize that God has me right where He wants me, and to accept it, and to be content with it, that truly takes a biblical perspective and a healthy dose of sanctification. May it be true of me that, like the apostle Paul, I will learn to be content whatever the circumstances, in any and every situation (Philippians 4:10-12).



~~~~~~~~~~
This post is linked up @ A Wise Woman, Titus2sday, Raising Homemakers & Living Well Wednesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...