Like last week's muffin, this morning's muffin comes to us from Muffins & More by Jean Pare. Enjoy!
And our version:
Makes 12 muffins
1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. cane sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 medium apple, diced (peel on)
2 T. Rapidura sugar
2 T. Cane sugar
1/4 c. butter softened
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together topping ingredients, set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, milk, and butter; stir in chopped apple.
5. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened (don't over mix your muffin batter!).
6. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full, spoon on topping , and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Here's what our muffins looked like when they came out of the oven...
Hmm. Not too pretty. It seems our adjustments to the topping ingredients were a little off -- the topping wasn't supposed to run off the muffins and spill over onto the muffin tin. What to do?
We used a toothpick to flip the streusel back onto the muffins...
And they wound up looking like this...
Not the prettiest muffins we've ever made, but according to our panel of judges, this recipe is a keeper!
Truly, these are delicious! However, the next time we make these (and we will), we'll simply sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar on top and skip the streusel. Our little streusel mishap served as a great learning opportunity for my daughter -- that recipes (or our attempts to make substitutions) don't always turn out. As always, let us know if you give them a try!
This is the 3rd installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 48 more to come, stay tuned...)