Monday, January 31, 2011

Muffin Mondays - French Breakfast Puffs

This little blue cookbook, a fixture in my kitchen for years, contains many of our family's favorite recipes. You know the recipes I mean, the ones you prepare over and over again, tweaking each to your family's liking until no other version will do. Yep, those recipes.

Among the treasured recipes in our little blue cookbook is today's muffin: French Breakfast Puffs. Cut out from who-knows-what magazine years ago, we've baked these up countless times. But this time, in keeping with our move toward a more healthful diet, we used whole wheat pastry flour, cane sugar, and raw milk. We hope you'll enjoy these as much as we do; let us know if you give them a try!

French Breakfast Puffs
Makes 12 muffins

1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. cane sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. salt
1 egg
1/2 c. milk (raw is best!)
1/3 c. butter, melted

Topping:
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease muffin tin with coconut oil.

2. In a mixing bowl combine flour, the 1/2 c. sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
3. In another bowl beat egg slightly; stir in milk and 1/3 c. melted butter.
4. Add egg mixture to flour mixture stirring just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!).

5. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter.

6. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until muffins are golden.

7. While muffins are baking, prepare topping by combining sugar and cinnamon in a small shallow bowl.


8. When finished baking, allow muffins to cool slightly. Remove from muffin pan and dip tops of warm muffins first into the 1/4 c. melted butter then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat top of muffin.




Best if served warm, but still delicious if saved for later. :) Enjoy!

This is the 4th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 47 more to come, stay tuned...)

~~~~~~~~~~
Visit these sites for more delicious recipes: Pennywise Platter, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Wednesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Frugal Food Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Sweet Tooth Friday, Feasting in Fellowship Friday, and Sweets for a Saturday

14 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. I am with you on the organic sugar. I do organic milk, don't think I can get raw milk here for a price I can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so lovely. LOVE that you used organic sugar. So much better for you.
    This is my first visit her and your blog is lovely. I look forward to visiting again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've really enjoyed using the organic sugar as a healthier substitute for the white stuff. We've also enjoyed having a source for raw milk; it is a definite treat to be sure. Thanks for stopping by, ladies! Blessings,

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound really delicious - and I love the healthy ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! We love muffins! I've never used whole wheat pastry flour, but we are a ww flour family! We can't get raw milk, but we use whole non-homogenized milk from a local dairy! It's so yummy and the cream rises to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal, We buy our whole wheat pastry flour from Bob's Red Mill - (http://www.bobsredmill.com/whole-wheat_pastry-flour.html) It's fine ground from soft white wheat and perfectly suited for baking everything except bread. I'm sure these muffins would turn out just as well using regular whole wheat instead of the WW pastry flour. Blessings, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops, I was about to ask you about your whole wheat pastry flour as well, and then I saw your response above. I guess it is just like "white" whole wheat flour? Anyway, thanks for this recipe! I've been trying to find some good, healthy baking recipes that don't taste like bricks. :) I found you on Simple Lives Thursdays, and I'll be visiting again soon!
    http://mindofthemother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The muffins look delicious ... i'm glad i stumbled onto u'r blog ... i'll be following your muffin journey - it sure sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trisha, Welcome and thanks for joining us this year! Blessings, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These french breakfast puffs look and sound delicious! I say they are good for anytime munching too!

    I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

    Amy
    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, From my experience over many years of using whole grain flours and recipe conversion experiments, substituting whole wheat flour for whole wheat pastry flour does not produce the same taste and texture.

    Whole wheat flour absorbs more liquid than whole wheat pastry flour, therefore producing a denser, drier product that my family found unacceptable for baking muffins, quick breads, pancakes & waffles.

    We prefer the whole wheat pastry flour. If someone still wanted to use whole wheat flour, the liquid would need to be increased or the flour decreased for a moister product.

    It takes approx. 10 minutes for whole wheat flour to absorb liquids once they have been added together.

    Example: I regularly make 100% whole wheat bread using my KitchenAid mixer. I reserve 1/4 C flour before adding the liquids. After mixing for a few minutes (dough is really sticky), I cover the bowl with a clean towel and set the timer for 10 minutes. When I resume mixing, the dough is much less sticky. I add only as much of the reserved flour as is needed for the dough to clean the sides of the bowl. The end product is wonderful.

    Anytime I use whole wheat flour, I let the dough rest for the 10 minutes. You would be surprised to see the change in its consistency. What starts out looking watery, ends up looking normal.

    I didn't mean to go on so long, but hope this helps.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maureen, Thanks so much for taking the time to chime in. I had to look back at the comments to see what you were responding to, and I appreciate your doing so. I'd hate to point anyone in the wrong direction when it comes to baking with whole wheat -- we want excellent results here!

    I do have a post in the works to explain about the ingredients I use and why; your comment gives me incentive to finish it. :)

    Blessings to you and yours,

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am finally making these this morning. They are in the oven now. I did have to add a bit more milk and used canola oil spray for the pans but other than that followed the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you enjoy these, Theresa! I have to ask whether you used whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour? That might have been the reason why you needed more milk--or it simply could be the amount of humidity in the air. Who knows? Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...