Thursday, January 13, 2011

Muffin Mondays - Raspberry Muffins

Yes, I know it's not Monday, but routine has been hard to fall into since the holidays, and I 'm still working on it! ;)

Muffin Monday was my 10-year-old daughter's idea...

"Mom, do you think we could bake muffins?"

"Sure."

"Could we do it once a week?"

"Sure!"

Around here we like to give things names, I don't know why, but it's what we do. The first name we came up with for our weekly muffin fest was Muffin Morning, then it was Muffin Friday. But we didn't want to wait until Friday for muffins, and besides, Muffin Mondays sounds so much nicer (alliteration, you know...), so that's what we settled on.

Our goal is to bake a different muffin recipe every Monday morning in 2011 -- that means 52 different muffin recipes!

Let's begin with last week's muffin which really wasn't a muffin at all. We had some overripe bananas but no banana muffin recipe, so we baked a whole wheat banana bread using a recipe from Nourishing Traditions.



I'm used to a more moist and slightly sweeter banana bread than this one turned out to be, but it was still good spread with butter and warmed just a bit in the microwave. This would also be good lightly toasted. I have to admit, this wasn't my favorite, so I won't include the recipe.

This week's entry:

Whole Wheat Raspberry Muffins



Fresh out of the oven... Don't they look yummy? We borrowed the recipe from this wonderful little book:





And our version:

Whole Wheat Raspberry Muffins

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. cane sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. sea salt
1 well-beaten egg (farm fresh, of course!)
1 c. milk (raw if you have it)
1/3 c. coconut oil
1 c. raspberries (fresh or frozen, coated w/ 1 T. flour)

Preheat oven to 400, lightly grease muffin tin with coconut oil. Sift dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine milk and egg. Melt coconut oil, slowly whisk it into the milk/egg mixture, then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins! Gently stir in floured raspberries, fill muffin cups 2/3 full, and bake for about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned. Enjoy!

We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :) Bon Appetit!


~~~~~~~~~~
This post is linked at:

13 comments:

  1. These look good! Do you taste the coconut oil in the final product?

    I found you through Nourishing Gourmet's Pennywise Platter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe, Thanks for commenting! These muffins really did turn out to be delicious, and no, you can't taste the coconut oil at all. :) Let me know if you try them. ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll make some tomorrow. I'll use frozen blueberries...it's what I have. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also used frozen. Let me know how you like them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tradition to start! It will be such fun making 52 different kinds of muffins! Your raspberry muffins look lovely, and it's fantastic they have whole wheat flour in them - so they are good for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muffins once a week? What a neat thing to do. These raspberry muffins sound like a delicious choice. Thanks for linking these up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm making this this morning with frozen raspberries. I'm so excited! We eat muffins almost every Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We, too, used frozen, and they turned out great. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing...I love hearty muffins and raspberries are a favorite. What is the significance of coconut oil and is there a substitution?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your kind words, Julie. :) The recipe I based mine on called for 1/3 c. oil or melted butter; and while either would do, I would use butter if I didn't use coconut oil. But why coconut oil? Coconut oil is a traditional fat once considered taboo due to its high saturated fat levels. However, current research has shown the many benefits of using coconut oil such as that it may reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, and other diseases, help prevent infections, and supports immune system function, etc. My current favorite reason to use coconut oil is that it is helpful in weight loss. :)

    Let me add that I'm new to the world of traditional, real foods and by no means an expert on the topic, however, from the reading and studying I've been doing, I've become convinced that coconut oil is the way to go. For more information, I encourage you to visit any of the sites listed on my sidebar under "Real Food." Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Raspberry Muffins look delicious! Thanks so much for linking up for Muffin Monday. We will look to you for inspiration as well. That is so cool that your 10-year-old daughter came up with the idea. We came up with the idea to go along with March Madness. We were going to do Muffin Madness but decided to go with Muffin Monday so we can continue posting muffin recipes long after March Madness is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We tried these today in 4 varieties - raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, and peach/raspberry. I added freeze dried fruit instead of fresh/frozen and didn't reconstitute it first and they turned out fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for letting us know! So glad they turned out well for you. :) Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...