Baking muffins with my daughter on Monday mornings has really been quite a bit of fun. We've learned a few things about making substitutions (they don't always work...), and we've come up with quite a list of potential recipes to try (you'll have to stay tuned to see what's coming!).
The only down side to this whole "Muffin Monday" thing is that the Papa of the house tends to leave for work in the morning a little on the early side, and that means he usually misses out on a fresh-from-the-oven muffin. What to do? Simple. We decided that this week we'd do our baking on Saturday morning instead of Monday. :)
This week's recipe, Maple Pecan Muffins, is light on the sugar but still very tasty. We used only 1/4 cup real maple syrup but will up that amount to 1/3 cup the next time we make these since the maple flavor wasn't as pronounced as we would've liked (this is reflected in the recipe below). As always, please let us know what you think. Enjoy!
Maple Pecan Muffins
makes 12 muffins
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1/3 c. real maple syrup
1/4 c. coconut oil, melted
2/3 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pecans.
3. In another bowl beat egg slightly then whisk in melted coconut oil, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened - don't over mix your muffins!
5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake 12 - 15 minutes until golden.
6. Cool slightly, spread with a little butter, and enjoy!
This is the 5th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 46 more to come, stay tuned...)
Visit these sites for more delicious recipes: Pennywise Platter, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Wednesdays, Tuesdays at the Table, Titus 2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Mouthwatering Monday, Simple Lives Thursday, Feasting in Fellowship FridayFight Back Friday