Monday, February 14, 2011

Muffin Mondays - Strawberry Surprise Muffins

Today's muffin, Strawberry Surprise, comes to us courtesy of my all time favorite cookbook, Betty Crocker's Cookbook. The strawberry filling inside these made them a perfect choice for our Valentines Day breakfast. Not only were they fun to make, but they also made for some delicious eating this morning. Enjoy!

Strawberry Surprise Muffins



Betty's recipe...



And our version...

Strawberry Surprise Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

1 egg
3/4 c. milk (raw is best!)
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. organic cane sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
strawberry jam for filling (homemade if you have it!)

1. Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin tin with coconut oil.

2. In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

3. In another bowl beat egg slightly then whisk in melted butter and milk.

4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened - don't over mix your muffins!

5. Fill muffin cups about 1/2 full.



6. Spoon 1 t. strawberry jam onto batter in each cup.







7. Top with remaining batter and bake until golden, about 15 - 20 minutes.





8. Remove muffins immediately from pan and allow to cool slightly before devouring!






For the record, we did manage to save a few for the Papa...

Bon Appetit!


This is the 6th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 45 more to come, stay tuned...)


~~~~~~~~~~
Visit these sites for more delicious recipes: Pennywise Platter, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Wednesdays, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Titus 2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Mouthwatering Monday, Simple Lives Thursday, Feasting in Fellowship Friday, Fight Back Friday

15 comments:

  1. They look delicious, I will have to give it a try. Although I don't have cane sugar, I will try it with Agave syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Let me know how the Agave works with this recipe. I've not used it myself, so I'm curious to know how they turn out. Blessings, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~I found you thru Kelly the Kitchen Kop..these look great! It looks like we're neighbors~I'm a hop, skip and a jump from you! Looking forward to your Muffin Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! Thanks for sharing, I might just have to try these bad boys out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so good! I love muffins!
    I have a cooking blog too.
    I'm following from the blog hop.
    I'd love a follow back at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    Mika

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound great. What a tasty way to start out the day.

    I'm hosting a weekly link up for sweet-inspired recipes. I hope you stop by and link up. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/17/chocolate-chip-toffee-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, now that's a surprise that would make me smile. I hope you'll come back and join me for Sweets for a Saturday #5.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the sweet words, ladies! Thanks, too, for the invites; linking up is a sure way to find lots of good sounding recipes. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love it...a beautiful muffin to bring to bible studies and ABF's in the morning! Thank you! love, Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natasha4/13/2011

    I just tried these this morning. One son said, "they're a keeper". The other said he'd rather have oatmeal. Personally I thought they were very tastey and so did my husband. I'm looking forward to trying more of your muffin recipes. I've read you blog for awhile but this is my first comment. I enjoy your blog b/c I love quotes from the Bible and JC Ryle, recipes and am a new crocheter (maybe ONE DAY I'll make something as nice as you do).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natasha,

    I'm so glad your family enjoyed these muffins. We do a lot of oatmeal around here, so I understand about your son's oatmeal preference. :)

    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I'm glad you're enjoying the different elements of my blog and hope it is an encouragement to you. I'll be posting both my crocheted washcloth and soap cozy patterns one of these days, and when I do, you'll have to try them as they're super easy.

    Blessings to you and your family,

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7/22/2011

    We made these this morning with spiced peach jam (trying to use up last year's jam before making THIS year's supply).
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds delicious!! We tried a peach muffin recipe this week that we'll be sharing next Monday. And I know what you mean about using up last year's canned goods before working on this years... ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Mrs. S! I made these muffins for church this morning. Must have been pretty good because they disappeared quickly! Thanks for the recipes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lydia - You are so very welcome!! Thanks for the comment. :) ~Mrs. S

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...