Friday, February 25, 2011

Poor Man's Stew...

Thought I'd share one of my favorite simple, nutritious, and inexpensive recipes that just happens to be perfect for a cold snowy February day...



Mmmm... Doesn't that look good? And it doesn't take long to make either. Serve this hearty stew for lunch or dinner with a slice or two of sourdough bread and your family will thank you. I promise. :)

Poor Man's Stew

1 lb. ground beef (grass fed is best)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 c. lentils
2 - 3 carrots, chopped
4 - 6 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 c. frozen corn
1 can petite diced tomatoes
4 c. beef broth
1/2 t. thyme
1/4 t. crushed rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic; drain excess fat and transfer to a soup pot. Stir in lentils, carrots, corn, tomatoes, beef broth, and seasonings (reserve the potatoes to add later). Bring to a slow boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-45 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add the potatoes and cook just until tender.

Enjoy...and stay warm!


~~~~~~~~~~
Linking up at Monday Mania, Raising Homemakers, Pennywise Platter, Real Food Wednesdays, Frugal Food Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Frugal Friday, and the gluten free recipe parade at Heavenly Homemakers

4 comments:

  1. Looks good Mrs. Seifert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you posted this in 2011, and here I am, enjoying it on an only slightly chilly early November evening here at the farmhouse! I will add just one thing...some dill weed, my FAV in beef stew! It's just starting its half-hour simmer, so for now I'm enjoying a glass of chilled organic Riesling and the fabulous fragrance of my poor-woman's stew!!! Love you for the effort you've put into blessing others through your blog, your farm, and your gorgeous fiber arts! I so want to visit you at your home when my life is my own again, someday...Lord willing! {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious!! I will be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...