Our recipe comes to us from The All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer in which I was thrilled to read the following muffin baking advice:
"Muffins made to be consumed immediately--very fresh and warm from the oven--are perfectly delicious with only 4 tablespoons butter or oil. If muffins must be made hours before they will be consumed, or even the day before, you are wise to use 6 to 8 tablespoons butter or oil."Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to be wise, we upped the butter so these would be nice and fresh for the Papa tomorrow morning. :) I love it when I learn something new!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
makes 12 muffins
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1.5 T. poppy seeds
1 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar (organic)
1 t. real lemon extract
1 T. grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs; stir in buttermilk, sugar, melted butter, lemon extract, and lemon zest.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins!
5. Fill muffin cups approx. 2/3 full.
6. Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the pan.
8. Serve immediately with butter or cool on wire rack.
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 11th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 40 more to come, stay tuned...)
Where I'm sharing today's muffin: Mouthwatering Monday, HealthyHomeEconomist, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Raising Homemakers, Women Living Well, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, UltimateRecipeSwap, FarAboveRubies, Frugal Follies, WiseWomanLinkup, Alli&Son, Fight Back Friday, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday