Monday, March 21, 2011

Muffin Monday - Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

After scouring our cookbooks for inspiration (and in consideration of the Papa's love of all things lemony), we decided on lemon poppy seed for this week's muffin. Enjoy!



Our recipe comes to us from The All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer in which I was thrilled to read the following muffin baking advice:
"Muffins made to be consumed immediately--very fresh and warm from the oven--are perfectly delicious with only 4 tablespoons butter or oil. If muffins must be made hours before they will be consumed, or even the day before, you are wise to use 6 to 8 tablespoons butter or oil."
Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to be wise, we upped the butter so these would be nice and fresh for the Papa tomorrow morning. :) I love it when I learn something new!



Our version...

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
makes 12 muffins

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1.5 T. poppy seeds
1 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar (organic)
1 t. real lemon extract
1 T. grated lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease muffin tin with coconut oil.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl.



3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs; stir in buttermilk, sugar, melted butter, lemon extract, and lemon zest.



4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins!

5. Fill muffin cups approx. 2/3 full.



6. Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

7. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from the pan.



8. Serve immediately with butter or cool on wire rack.



Bon appetit!

We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 11th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 40 more to come, stay tuned...)


~~~~~~~~~~
Where I'm sharing today's muffin: Mouthwatering Monday, HealthyHomeEconomist, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Raising Homemakers, Women Living Well, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, UltimateRecipeSwap, FarAboveRubies, Frugal Follies, WiseWomanLinkup, Alli&Son, Fight Back Friday, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

8 comments:

  1. I am soooo thrilled you are posting a bunch of muffin recipes! I loveth muffins and have just been mulling over whether or not I should get a recipe book for them. :-D Still not sure about the book, but I will def be checking out your blog, thanks to hhe ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon Poppy Seed muffins are my favorite. I'll have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very interesting about adding more butter or oil if waiting to eat. Does she state the reasoning behind this? And I too love all things LEMON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya! I guess I should've included the reason for upping the butter/oil along with the suggestion to do it... It has to do with how rich or moist the muffins will be. With the amount of butter I used (1/3 cup), these turned out beautifully and were just as delicious when Dan got home from work as they were when we took them out of the oven. Let me know if you give them a try. Blessings! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness- so good! I changed mine a little....I used almond milk in place of the buttermilk, and I ground about one-fourth of a cup of flaxseeds and mixed that goodness in. I am on a liver cleanse, and with the almond milk and flaxseed, whole wheat flour, organic sugar, and free range eggs, it made it acceptable to eat! They smelled soo good baking, and tasted wonderful! I love muffins, and lemon poppyseed are some of my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo nice of you to share how you switched up this recipe to make it work with your dietary needs! Thanks and blessings, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  6. I made these this morning and they came out great. They were sweet but not overly so. I used white flour instead of wheat and olive oil in place of the butter. We didn't have buttermilk on hand so I just ended up using the juice from 1 lemon (1/4 c.) mixed with 3/4 c. milk. I'll certainly be making these again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment and for sharing your substitutions! Glad you liked our recipe!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...