Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sourdough Bread Recipe

In response to several requests for my sourdough bread recipe, I present to you for your baking enjoyment...



Sourdough Bread
Seifert style - adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook

1 c. sourdough starter
2.5 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. warm water
3 3/4 - 4 1/2 c. unbleached flour
3 T. organic sugar
1 t. sea salt
1/4 t. baking soda
3 T. olive oil

Mix sourdough starter, whole wheat flour, and warm water in a 3 qt. glass bowl until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and place in your oven with the light on overnight or for at least 7 hours. If you do this in the evening, you'll have a sponge that looks something like this when you wake up in the morning:



Add unbleached flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda to the sponge:



And then add your olive oil:



Using a wooden spoon, stir everything together until smooth and flour is absorbed, then place your dough onto a heavily floured surface (like your kitchen counter). :)



Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed (yep, I knead by hand). Place dough into a greased bowl; turn greased side up.


Cover dough and let rise in warm place until double about 1.5 - 2.5 hours. (I heat my oven at 170F for one minute and turn it off to create a nice, warm place for my dough to rise; I also leave the oven light on.) Be patient! Your dough will rise...and it's worth it!



Punch dough down and divide it into two (or four, or seven...) pieces using a knife. Form loaves and place onto two parchment lined baking sheets. Make three 1/4" deep slashes into each loaf.



Let rise in a warm place until double (again, I use my oven for this) about 45 min. - 1.5 hours. Patience, patience. :)

Preheat oven to 375F. Place one rack in the middle of oven and the other in the lowest position. Fill a small baking dish with hot water and place on the bottom rack while oven is preheating.

When oven is ready, spray loaves with water using a spray bottle (or brush water on with a pastry brush). Bake 15 minutes, open oven and spray loaves again; continue to bake for another 15 minutes, open oven and spray again. At this point you should check bread every five minutes (spraying each time) until loaves are golden brown. Total baking time is about 35 - 45 minutes. Remove to cooling racks.



Slice and enjoy!





Another option is to make up four dozen rolls...



Bake rolls for about 20 minutes following the same method above.



Bon appetit!

"Man shall not eat by bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. " ~Matthew 4:4


~~~~~~~~~~
Also sharing over at Real Food Wednesdays, Traditional Tuesday, the Healthy Home Economist & Simple Lives Thursday

15 comments:

  1. Yeah! I was hoping you would share this recipe at some point. Would you also share how to make and manage a sourdough starter? I love you my friend! J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sourdough starter is on my list... So many blog posts, so little time!

    Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. We STILL have snow on the ground! Will it ever melt?

    Love ya back! ~L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. We will have to try it. I would like the instructions (visual) on the start as well for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I have to try to make this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/05/2011

    Thank you! i have been waiting for your recipe. Your loaves look so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sour dough is the absolute best! Thank you for bringing it over to our house a few weeks ago. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks! You'll have to let me know if you try my recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that looks great! Thanks for sharing and I will try this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These loaves and rolls look beautiful! I've been sifting my flour lately per Rami Nagel and am thinking to make this with sifted flour. I'm thinking it would work ok? Thank you for sharing this recipe and great pictures at Monday Mania this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, I can't imagine why not. I'm not overly familiar with Rami Nagel (although I just did some reading on your blog...). Please let me know how your loaves turn out if you do give my recipe a try. Blessings! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay,

    You got me! This will be the recipe I try...I'll mix up the flour to soak tomorrow. Mmmmmm....looks so good! I can smell it now.

    Joy from Vim and Vigor

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was officially the first time a sourdough bread recipe worked out for me...yahooo! It was very tasty, just didn't rise quite as high as I would have like, but maybe it just isn't supposed to rise very high? Anyway, this is our new staple of bread in our home, being it is so healthy for us. Thanks again!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joy,

    Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! I am utterly thrilled that my recipe worked for you and that you like it so much. :) I haven't had a really high rise from this recipe myself; however, the flavor, texture, and crust are so good that I overlook it.

    I do have a great recipe for sourdough pan bread that makes a nice loaf for toast or sandwiches which includes a bit of yeast. One of these days I'll get around to posting it. :)

    Blessings!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stopped over from Real Food Weds and came to visit because I also put up a sourdough bit! But mine is not a recipe rather it is technique. Your little loaves look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks! I visited your sourdough post and am impressed. I'm always working with my starter and trying new methods to improve my sourdough, so I appreciate you sharing. Blessings to you and yours, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...