Monday, April 11, 2011

Muffin Monday - Applesauce Spice Muffins

So it's been three months since our "let's bake a new muffin recipe every Monday" experiment began, and my cute little kitchen apprentice and I find ourselves on a perpetual hunt, scouring cookbooks, magazines, and the Internet in search of new recipes to try. As we look at all the tempting pictures and read through the ingredients, we find ourselves saying to each other:

"These look good!" (We've already done blueberries.)

"What about these?" (We've already done bananas.)

"That one sounds yummy!" (But we don't have all the ingredients.)

"Papa wouldn't like these." (They have __________ (fill in the blank).)

One might think we'd run out of recipes. Really, one just might. Back in January a friend actually wondered out loud if there were 52 different muffin recipes. Well let me tell ya, there are.

We've come up with a growing list of recipes to try, many of them from blogs just like ours. (You know, regular people living ordinary lives, sharing recipes, knitting projects, encouragement, garden and chicken updates, reading lists, and whatever else might be happening on their little homesteads -- so fun to meet so many of you! Thanks to each of you who've been following, trying our recipes, and especially to those of you who've left comments! We appreciate your feedback and are encouraged by your kind words.) :)

But, back to the muffins. This week's muffin is absolutely delicious! We've already declared it be in our top five for the year so far and think these would be equally tasty with the addition of a chopped tart apple and/or a bit of chopped walnuts. Enjoy!



Applesauce Spice Muffins
inspired by this recipe
makes 12 muffins


2 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached AP flour)
2 T. rolled oats
1/4 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/3 c. organic sugar (or white sugar)
1 egg
1 c. applesauce, at room temp. (natural, no sugar added)
1/2 c. melted butter
1 t. real vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil).

2. Measure flour, oats, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar into a large bowl and whisk together.

3. Whisk egg in a small bowl; add applesauce, melted butter, and vanilla, mixing well.

4. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!); batter will be lumpy.

6. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

7. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown; cool on wire rack.





8. Enjoy while warm with a little butter, of course. :)



Bon appetit!

We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 14th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 37 more to come, stay tuned...)


~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Muffin Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Home Sweet Farm, Far Above Rubies, Real Food Wednesdays, Raising Homemakers, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Fight Back Friday, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

16 comments:

  1. These look great! I am stopping over from muffin monday! I love that these applesauce muffins use ingredients I have in my house most of the time! Hope you get a chance to stop over to my site www.busymomonthego.com to check out my bread pudding muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This muffin recipe sounds great. I can't believe that your friend didn't think that there were 52 muffin recipes :) I am printing this off to make it sometime because I always love trying new muffin recipes too. Have a good one!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda & Katie, Thanks for stopping by. We actually made these muffins three different times 'cause we liked them so much. We hope you enjoy them, too! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I made these (with a couple of tweaks due to my pantry supplies) and they were great. I do believe another batch will need to go with us on our road trip this weekend. Thanks for the inspriation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are quite welcome! Glad they turned out well for you. :)
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, wonderful recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Thank you for linking up to Domestically Divine.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Blessings,

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This looks so yummy. Nothing bettr than apples and spice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, Thanks for your kind words. You'll have to let me know if you try our recipe. Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. these sound wonderful! i've been wanting something new to try... this is perfect! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yumm
    I am going to make these this weekend!
    I also have the blueberry cream cheese muffins on my list too!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stacey & Kristin, Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy our muffin recipe. :)

    Blessings,
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these muffins and they were so good! I live in South Africa and work here as a missionary. I found your bog and saw this recipe and had to try it out. I try to eat healthy and this sounded perfect. Until this past week I have never found natural applesauce here before. You can find small jars of applesauce with sugar in it - but as I'm diabetic I stay away from that.

    I could make my own but when I found it on the shelves I grabbed up four jars!! I made these and LOVED them. My only change was using Splenda instead of sugar. I'm planning to add extra apple next time.

    I served them to my friend and we both loved them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I may be trying out some other ones sometime soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy, Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. :) My daughter and I are so glad you liked our muffin recipe and that you were able to make it work for your specific dietary needs. Blessings to you as you serve the Lord in S. Africa! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog through Comfy Kitchen when I was online looking for recipes. I "bookmarked" your blog and check in quite often. Looking forward to trying out more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7/14/2012

    I just tried these and they are very good! I used coconut oil instead of butter and sucanat instead of white sugar since that is what I had in the house and they still turned out good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you used what you had on hand! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment; it means so much to know that others appreciate the recipes we're sharing here on the blog. Blessings,

      Lisa & AnnaLynn :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...