Welcome to this week's edition of Muffin Monday! Today's recipe serves as a convenient way to use up a bit of the blueberries you may have left in your freezer as well as that little chunk of cream cheese in your fridge. With just a hint of lemon flavor, these are sure to be a hit with the Papa (who gets one when he gets home from work). :) Enjoy!
As you scroll down, you'll notice the lack of photos in today's post -- sadly, our camera has gone on the fritz. Working one minute and not the next. Since we don't have cell reception out here in our neck of the woods, I couldn't even use the camera on my cell phone. Grrr. BUT, never fear! My wonderful children came through providing the perfect illustrations to today's post. Please enjoy the work of two of my favorite artists...
Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins
inspired by this recipe
makes 12 muffins
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or unbleached AP flour)
1/2 t. sea salt
1 T. baking powder (aluminum free)
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. organic sugar (or white sugar)
1 T. grated lemon zest
1/3 c. melted butter
2/3 c. buttermilk
1 t. real vanilla
1 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
3 T. cream cheese (at room temp.)
1 t. lemon zest
3 t. organic sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, lemon zest, and sugar until smooth; set aside.
3. Measure flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and lemon zest into a large bowl and whisk together.
4. Whisk egg in a small bowl; add melted butter, vanilla, and buttermilk, mixing well.
5. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!); batter will be lumpy. Gently fold in blueberries.
6. Fill muffin cups 1/2 full of batter, add about 1 t. filling mixture to each muffin cup, and cover with remaining batter to cover filling.
7. Bake 15-20 minutes (ours were perfect at 17 min.) or until muffins are golden brown; cool on wire rack.
UPDATE: Yeah! I got a new camera on Tuesday night and quickly snapped a few pictures on Wednesday morning before the last of the muffins were eaten. I'm including them here at the bottom of this post as I didn't want to steal my kids' big moment of artistic fame above. I didn't want anyone to miss out on a glimpse of that yummy cream cheese filling either. :)
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 13th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 38 more to come, stay tuned...)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Muffin Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Raising Homemakers, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Far Above Rubies, Fight Back Friday, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday