Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Peas, trees, crocheted slippers, a busy kitchen, and a few thoughts...

Just thought I'd share a photo tour of what we've been up to...


Our peas they are a growing...


Our fruit trees have all been planted and stand secure against the locals. :)


Crocheted slippers ready for felting...


Homemade peanut butter is easy with a food processor...


Homemade croutons. This is what you do with sourdough bread that doesn't turn out quite right (keep reading).


A loaf that turned out perfectly...


And finally, a new pizza recipe that was delicious!

All of this after a post on humility this morning. Funny, huh? :) I'm in no way implying that sharing one's successes is necessarily prideful, even though it can be. I find it rather fun to see and glean and learn from what's working for others, so keep those wonderful posts coming! :)

But, let's be real. The lettuce we transplanted along with the peas was all but destroyed in a hail storm yesterday. I tried a new sourdough bread recipe over the weekend, and two (yes two) batches (that's four loaves) were a total flop. Thankfully, one loaf was salvageable and became the batch of croutons pictured above. BUT, our loss was our hens gain as they were treated to a feast of the three castoff loaves. :) The loaf that did turn out (above) I baked yesterday using my tried and true recipe just to make myself feel better (that is, to sooth my battered pride).

These and a bazillion other flops occur here on a regular basis, but does anyone really want to see them? Honestly, I don't mind sharing when things don't turn out perfectly because I love learning new things, trying new things, and learning from my mistakes (as well as the mistakes of others). So don't be afraid to share a flop once in a while. Be real. I'm not perfect, and I hope I never, ever, ever come across as if I think I am. And if I do, call me on it. Please.

And a few final words to say that nothing in this little commentary of mine is directed at anyone in particular. Rather, I'm simply sharing a few thoughts that came to mind as I was adding descriptions to the photos above. Is posting about what we've been up to bragging? Is it prideful to say my sourdough bread turned out perfectly? Just what is the line between humility and pride?

So now you know what's been happening around our little homestead as well as a few of my thoughts, and with that, my friends, comes the end of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...