Monday, May 30, 2011
Muffin Monday - Chocolate Banana Muffins
It's Memorial Day here in the U.S., and that means the Papa is home from work and here to enjoy today's muffins fresh from the oven. :) Later this morning we'll be off to attend a Memorial Day observance at Territorial Park in Amboy. And in good old American style, we'll enjoy a BBQ dinner of chicken, baked beans, macaroni salad, and watermelon - yum!
If you're looking for some info on the history of Memorial Day or perhaps some ideas on how to celebrate with your children, Military.com has some great ideas.
Before we get to this week's muffin, I have to tell you that these are simply amazing! Like the Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins we shared back in March, these are definitely a good excuse to enjoy dessert for breakfast -- we did. :)
Today's recipe comes to us from an old Martha Stewart holiday baking magazine I discovered on our cookbook shelf. Our regular "healthier version" substitutions include whole wheat pastry flour and less sugar (3/4 c. rather than 1 1/4 cup). Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Muffins
1/4 c. butter, melted
3 ripe bananas
1.5 t. real vanilla
3/4 c. buttermilk
1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 c. organic cane sugar (or white sugar)
3/4 c. cocoa powder
2 1/4 t. aluminum free baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil).
2. Measure flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and stir together.
3. In a medium bowl, smash bananas (I used my electric mixer); mix in eggs, then stir in vanilla, buttermilk, and butter.
4. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!).
5. Fill prepared muffin cups; cups will be full.
6. Bake about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool slightly in pan; carefully remove muffins to wire rack.
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 21st installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 30 more to come, stay tuned...)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Muffin Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Traditional Tuesday, Healthy Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Living Well Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Feasting in Fellowship Friday, Home & Family Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, and Savory Sunday