Here's a muffin for a cooler-than-normal mid-spring morning. A quick glance at our local 10 day weather forecast revealed that other than tomorrow's expected high of 68 degrees, we're in for rain and temps in the upper 50s to lower 60s -- ugh! Not so great for working in our garden, but perfect for doing a little baking. :)
Today's recipe comes to us from Bon Appetit. You can find our regular "healthier version" substitutions in the recipe below. Enjoy!
Maple Oatmeal Muffins
2 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. whole oats
2 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. natural/organic applesauce
1/2 c. real maple syrup
1/3 c. Rapadura sugar (or brown sugar)
1/4 c. melted butter
2 t. real vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil).
2. Measure flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and stir together.
3. Whisk egg in a small bowl, then stir in buttermilk, applesauce, maple syrup, sugar, and vanilla; slowly whisk in melted butter.
5. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!).
6. Fill prepared muffin cups; cups will be full.
7. Bake about 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown.
8. Cool slightly in pan; carefully remove muffins to wire rack.
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 20th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 31 more to come, stay tuned...)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Home Sweet Farm, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Traditional Tuesday, Healthy Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Living Well Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Fight Back Friday, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday