Thursday, June 23, 2011

Easy Peasy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing


But before I share my Ranch dressing recipe, I have to share a silly discovery I recently made: I make two grocery lists. One is for items we're either low on or out of which need to be purchased, and the other is for items that need to be made.

In the grand scheme of things, that's not such an important discovery. However, my discovery did get me to thinking that I do make quite a few of my family's grocery items (such as today's recipe and homemade ketchup) from ingredients already in our pantry rather than buying them. Oddly, I had never thought of my items that need to be made list as anything other than another to-do list.

Along with my discovery came the inspiration to begin a new series here on the blog called Homemade Pantry. What you won't find here is a cost analysis for every recipe. While I know that some folks like breaking down the cost for homemade items, knowing exactly how much or how little I save isn't that important to me. What you will find here, Lord willing, is encouragement to try making your own. Experiment a little (or a lot) and find recipes that your family enjoys!

But why make your own? Filling your pantry with your very own homemade groceries will not only save you money, but it's better for you! No MSG, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients. Making your own is fun, satisfying, frugal, and healthier. :)

And now for today's recipe...

Years ago while flipping through the pages of my trusty copy of Betty Crocker's Cookbook, I stumbled upon a recipe for Buttermilk Dressing and have been making my own slightly modified version ever since. Enjoy!



Easy Peasy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
makes about 3 cups

1.5 c. mayonnaise (made w/out canola oil is best)
1 1/3 c. cultured buttermilk
2 t. dried parsley
1 t. minced, dried onion
1 t. sea salt
1/8 t. black pepper
1 t. garlic powder

Measure all ingredients into a bowl or quart-sized jar, give it a good stir, then cover and chill for two hours. Super easy.

To make the mayo measuring easier, pour the buttermilk into a 4 cup measuring cup then add the mayo until you're almost up to the 3 cup mark. To finish, add the seasonings, stir, cover, and chill. Easier yet. :)





This dressing is good for about two weeks, but can easily be halved if you don't need quite so much (the original B.C. recipe is actually half of what I make). Making your own dressing will not only save you a little money, it will also help you avoid the MSG and high fructose corn syrup found in many bottled dressings or powdered dressing packets.

That's it, folks! Easy peasy? I think so.


~~~~~~~~~~
Also sharing at Living Well Wednesday, Far Above Rubies, Titus Tuesday, Home & Family Friday, April's Weekend Roundup, Raising Homemakers, Wise Woman Link-up, and Life as Mom's Frugal Friday 

A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

19 comments:

  1. That looks so easy and delish! I avoid artifical ingredients and MSG gives me a headache so this is great to know. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to this series Lisa!!! And thanks for the recipe.... Every time I buy a bottle of my beloved ranch and I think of yours and how I should ask you for it. :-)

    Chels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so yummy. Would yogurt work instead of buttermilk ? ( my 2nd ds is allergic to cow products) I think I will have to try. [o=

    You are a wealth of info on good recipes! Thank you.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa - You'll have to let me know how you like it if you give my Ranch a try. Thanks for stopping by!

    Chels - You're welcome. :)

    Mary - I've substituted yogurt for the mayo before and liked it. I would actually make it with yogurt all the time (or substitute half the mayo for yogurt) if only my family would eat it that way. They don't like it when I mess with the Ranch... :)

    Blessings, gals! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dressing sounds wonderful! My family is a big fan of Ranch dressing and we'd much prefer to have something fresh and preservative free. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    Glad I saw your link-up on "Life and Times...".

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,

    Hee he. That would be fine for you to link that video up here. I pray you have a blessed weekend!

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it would taste delicious and ranch dressing is so versatile; thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to get away from bottled dressing and make my own -- this sounds like an easy and tasty recipe to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this recipe, been making buttermilk ranch for a 1year now and wont go back!

    I love making recipes homemade and loving it!

    ~Sarah beth @ http://hislovingpresence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of the Homemade Pantry series. What a fantastic idea! Your buttermilk ranch dressing sounds lovely, and so much better for you than store bought. Thank you for sharing this post with The Weekend Roundup. Hope to see you there again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy - I will have to try it! We avoid the artificial too. It's so much better to do it this way. Found you through Women Living Well Link-up - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment! Hope you enjoy the Ranch dressing. :) Sarahbeth, you're my 100th follower -- how excited! I guess I should do a giveaway or something...maybe next week after the 4th of July holiday.

    Blessings! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! looking forward to reading the other posts in this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda - Thanks for commenting. I've got several posts that I'm working on for this series, but life is full and I just haven't gotten to publishing them. Thanks for the reminder! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8/23/2011

    I was just wondering what mayonaisse you use for this recipe. Can't wait to try it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christina - Hain makes a safflower oil mayonnaise that works well with this dressing. I've been playing with homemade mayo recipes, but haven't been successful in finding one my family enjoys. Regular mayo will work fine, but they all tend to be made with canola oil which we try to avoid. Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. can I ask why you avoid canola oil?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Amanda - My apologies for the delay in posting your comment. Your question is a good one! I must admit, however, that while we do our best to avoid using canola oil, we have not been successful in completely eliminating it from our diet as it's a hard oil to avoid.

    The "why" began several years ago when our family was facing several serious health issues including high cholesterol, inflammation, and our (now 13 year old) son was seriously afflicted with severe asthma and allergies.

    Providentially, I was introduced to "Nourishing Traditions" -- a cookbook advocating a return to traditional cooking methods. In this encyclopedic volume I was introduced, among other ideas, to the use of traditional fats and oils and the health benefits of doing so. Believing that making some dietary changes might work to improve our health, we began our real foods journey.

    Basically, canola oil is a non-traditional fat that, while rich in healthy omega-3 (10-15%), is even higher in omega-6 (23%) -- an unhealthy balance of the two fats -- which contributes to inflammation and a host of other health issues (you can read more in the article I link to below). The idea is to increase the omega 3 in our diet while decreasing the omega 6; to bring them more into balance.

    Increasing our omega 3 intake has been highly effective in improving our health (especially our sons!). I'm working on a post that will, Lord willing, be published sometime soon telling the whole story, but in the meanwhile, I commend to you any of the "real food" links on my side bar and especially the following article from Prevention magazine which details the effects of the overabundance of omega 6 in the typical American diet.

    Hope this response wasn't overkill. :) Thanks for asking; it caused me to think through even more the "why" myself. Thanks!

    Blessings,

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for the response. I'll have to check that book out :) I finally remembered to buy buttermilk, so I am making this tomorrow :) Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...