Monday, June 13, 2011

Muffin Monday - Baklava Muffins

We were pretty excited when we stumbled upon today's muffin recipe! Not only because these muffins sounded so incredibly good, but also because the recipe calls for ingredients similar to those we like to use such as whole wheat pastry flour. :) Enjoy!



Whole Wheat Baklava Muffins
makes 12 muffins

Filling:
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. Rapadura sugar (or brown sugar)
1.5 t. cinnamon
3 T. melted butter

Muffins:
1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1/4 c. organic cane sugar (or white sugar)
1 lg. egg
3 T. melted butter
1 c. buttermilk

Topping:
2 T. raw honey (optional)

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F and either grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil) or line muffin cups with paper liners.

2. Measure filling ingredients into a small bowl and stir together; set aside.

3. In a large bowl, measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar; stir together.

4. In a medium bowl, stir together butter, egg, and buttermilk.

5. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!).

6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups filling each about 1/3 full.

7. Distribute filling evenly onto the center of batter in each cup.



8. Spoon the remaining batter over filling.



9. Bake about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan; carefully remove muffins to wire rack.



10. Before applying honey topping, save yourself a little counter cleaning by laying a piece of waxed paper under muffins to catch excess honey. :) Drizzle honey over muffins (optional).



The next time I make these, I'll leave the honey off a few of them as it made them a little too sweet for my taste buds; however, the taste testers in the family all agreed that the honey topping makes them perfect! Bon appetit!

We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 23rd installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 28 more to come, stay tuned!)


~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, This Chick Cooks, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

And how cool is this? Our recipe was featured here:

26 comments:

  1. Baklava is one of my favorites! I'll have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves Baklava - so I will definitely be trying this. I found your blog on Time Warp Wife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious - I may have to give it a try.

    danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies - Please let us know if you do try these! We appreciate feedback. :) ~Lisa & AnnaLynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...these sound wonderful! I love whole wheat pastry flour too - it's my latest happy baking product! I've been in the mood for muffins lately so I'll be trying them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a YUMMY recipe! I am going to have to try it soon. Thank you for sharing.

    Oh btw I grew up in Kirkland Wa. I don't how far that is from you but I LOVE love love Washington. I get homesick sometimes. But thankfully it is green and lush where I am like back home. [o=

    Blessings<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary - Thanks for stopping by! We're in SW Washington about an hour northeast of Portland, Oregon. I imagine that B.C. is similar to western Washington...
    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Baklava and these just look so yummy. I just recently started to experience with switching to whole wheat in my baking.

    I hope you can come and share your recipe at Foodie Wednesday....http://www.dailyorganizedchaos.com/mozzarella-bruschetta/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these today. They are delicious!! Our boys all like them too. My husband will be home from work soon, and I can't wait for him to try the muffins. I really made them for him because he loves baklava.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tara - Thanks so much for letting us know! My husband isn't much for nuts in baked goods, but he actually enjoyed these muffins quite a bit (mostly because I chopped the walnuts pretty fine). btw, I enjoyed taking a peek at your new square foot garden over on your blog--looking good! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love baklava! These muffins look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Husband approved!! :) I also made your peanut butter muffins last night to take as our snack for after church. Those are probably my personal favorite so far. Lisa, thanks for the comment about my garden! I'm really excited about growing some veggies!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to make Baklava muffins. Pass one a long please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tara - You're welcome. :)

    SS - I don't think a muffin's going to fit through the dsl line... Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look fantastic! I am definitely going to have to try them. My family will be happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happiness is a good thing! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are some yummy looking muffins! Thanks for coming by to share! Have a great weekend.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaliyha & I love Baklava , will have to give them a try. Looks soo Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let me know how you like them. :) ~L

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wanted to let you know that I featured these muffins today in my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post. Stop by and grab a button!

    thanks for the inspiration,

    danielle
    http://mostlyfoodandcrafts.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-i-bookmarked-this-week_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Danielle - Thanks for featuring our recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yum! I love baklava, and this is a great way to get the flavour of it while still being healthy about it. Thank you for sharing another delicious muffin recipe with Let's Do Brunch. I always look forward to seeing which muffin will be next in your muffin adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Coming over from Friday Favorites via Mostly Food and Crafts. I just happen to have the ingredients to make these and will be doing so tomorrow. I love muffins and will be back to check out the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loy - Welcome to our world of muffins. :) You'll have to let us know how your muffins turned out! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made these this morning, and they were delicious! My walnuts had gone rancid, but I substituted chopped almonds with no problem. I really look forward to your muffin post each Monday. I just shared this link with all of my facebook friends. Thanks for all the great whole wheat recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Thanks for all the kind words! It's a blessing to hear that so many of you are enjoying (and sharing) our muffin recipes. :) Blessings to all, ~Lisa & AnnaLynn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...