Whole Wheat Baklava Muffins
makes 12 muffins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. Rapadura sugar (or brown sugar)
1.5 t. cinnamon
3 T. melted butter
1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1/4 c. organic cane sugar (or white sugar)
1 lg. egg
3 T. melted butter
1 c. buttermilk
2 T. raw honey (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F and either grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil) or line muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Measure filling ingredients into a small bowl and stir together; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar; stir together.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together butter, egg, and buttermilk.
5. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!).
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups filling each about 1/3 full.
7. Distribute filling evenly onto the center of batter in each cup.
8. Spoon the remaining batter over filling.
9. Bake about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan; carefully remove muffins to wire rack.
10. Before applying honey topping, save yourself a little counter cleaning by laying a piece of waxed paper under muffins to catch excess honey. :) Drizzle honey over muffins (optional).
The next time I make these, I'll leave the honey off a few of them as it made them a little too sweet for my taste buds; however, the taste testers in the family all agreed that the honey topping makes them perfect! Bon appetit!
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 23rd installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 28 more to come, stay tuned!)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, This Chick Cooks, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday
And how cool is this? Our recipe was featured here: