Today's savory muffin recipe comes to us from one of my favorite cookbooks, Southern Living Homestyle Cooking.
These are a deliciously convenient breakfast muffin (haven't tried it, but I'm thinking breakfast sausage would be great in these, too!). Since this recipe makes 18muffins, we'll be freezing about half of them for a quick microwave-and-go breakfast for the Papa or for mornings when we need to quickly be out the door. Enjoy!
Cheddar Bacon Breakfast Muffins
1/2-1 pd. bacon
1 c. finely chopped chives (or green onion)
1 t. sea salt
1 t. black pepper
3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 T. organic sugar (or white sugar)
1.5 c. milk (raw if you have it)
3 T. Dijon mustard
3 T. melted butter or coconut oil
2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese (extra sharp!)
1. Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil).
2. Cook bacon until crisp; drain fat reserving 2 T. drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
3. Saute chives in reserved bacon drippings over medium heat until chives are tender; set aside.
4. Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and pepper into a large bowl and stir together.
5. Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, butter, and chive mixture.
6. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients stirring just until moistened, then stir in shredded cheese and crumbled bacon (don't over mix your muffins!).
7. Fill prepared muffin cups; bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool slightly in pan; remove muffins to wire rack. Enjoy while warm. :)
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 25th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 26 more to come, stay tuned...)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Muffin Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Home Sweet Farm, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Healthy2dayWednedays, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, CastPartyWednesday., Pennywise Platter, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday