Monday, June 27, 2011

Muffin Monday - Cheddar Bacon Breakfast Muffins

Today's savory muffin recipe comes to us from one of my favorite cookbooks, Southern Living Homestyle Cooking.



These are a deliciously convenient breakfast muffin (haven't tried it, but I'm thinking breakfast sausage would be great in these, too!). Since this recipe makes 18muffins, we'll be freezing about half of them for a quick microwave-and-go breakfast for the Papa or for mornings when we need to quickly be out the door. Enjoy!



Cheddar Bacon Breakfast Muffins
makes 18

1/2-1 pd. bacon
1 c. finely chopped chives (or green onion)
1 t. sea salt
1 t. black pepper
3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 T. organic sugar (or white sugar)
2 eggs
1.5 c. milk (raw if you have it)
3 T. Dijon mustard
3 T. melted butter or coconut oil
2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese (extra sharp!)

1. Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil).

2. Cook bacon until crisp; drain fat reserving 2 T. drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.

3. Saute chives in reserved bacon drippings over medium heat until chives are tender; set aside.

4. Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and pepper into a large bowl and stir together.

5. Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, butter, and chive mixture.



6. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients stirring  just until moistened, then stir in shredded cheese and crumbled bacon (don't over mix your muffins!).




7. Fill prepared muffin cups; bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.



8. Cool slightly in pan; remove muffins to wire rack. Enjoy while warm. :)



Bon appetit!

We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 25th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 26 more to come, stay tuned...)


~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Muffin Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Home Sweet Farm, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Healthy2dayWednedays, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, CastPartyWednesday., Pennywise Platter, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow! These look and sound amazing! Thanks so much for linking up at Muffin Monday! Our followers will love this recipe1 Hope to see ou again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I just read this at work and am now starving because these muffins look so good! I'll have to work them into my next meal plan! Yummy!

    Love you,
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a very similar version WITH sausage and NOM.

    your pics look fabulous! Thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, Help me out here...NOM?? Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :) ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathryn - Thanks!
    Jess - Let me know what you think! Love ya back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the SL cookbook and I have the recipe bookmarked. I completely forgot about it, until reading your post. We are headed out at the end of the week for vacation , leaving very early in the morning. I am going to make these for breakfast on the go!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful breakfast choice. I cannot wait to try this recipe. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz & CHS - You will love these!! My kids had them this morning with a touch of real maple syrup and loved them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing! Yummy!

    Love,
    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations
    (come see my frappe recipe!)
    http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great and good for you too! We're trying to stay away from sweets and this would be perfect to fix before church on Sunday morning. Thanks! -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebecca - Hope your family enjoys these! They're in my top ten for the year so far...

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy! I'm have a recipe only link party "Cast Party Wednesday" and this would be perfect. Would you come over and share some of your recipes with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6/30/2011

    My family would love for me to make these for them! Visiting from Janelle's linky!

    Lisa
    thepearsonfamilee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness. It's one in the morning, and I should be going to bed, but instead I'm looking at your delicious food and my stomach is grumbling - because, well, there's NOTHING better than muffins! I (surprisingly!) have all the ingredients for this, and will totally be making it in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up your recipe at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back tomorrow and share some more of your awesome recipes!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look delicious! It's like a cooked breakfast in a muffin - fantastic idea!! Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Krista Sanderson3/17/2013

    Super Yummy! Thank you. I just stumbled on your blog a few weeks ago and I am making my way through the recipes. This one was great, but I'd maybe decrease the amount of pepper. Also made some mini muffins for my 3 yr old. So far our favorites are the pineapple and the Oatmeal muffins are by far the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista! So glad you left a comment; such a joy to know others are enjoying our recipes as much as we do. :) Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...