Monday, June 6, 2011
Muffin Monday - Cornbread Muffins
Cornbread for breakfast?
Leave it to my kids to come up with a new family favorite. But before you turn your nose up at this week's muffin, please indulge us by reading to the end of the post where you'll learn just how to enjoy these for a delicious breakfast! :)
But first a little background...
A few weeks ago we had chili and cornbread for dinner. We love chili and cornbread. But, as usually happens, we wound up with leftover cornbread. For some reason the chili always disappears before the cornbread. And because no one in the family enjoys eating day-old cornbread, our flock of hens have been happy to finish it off for us.
Anyway, this particular time Anna asked if she could try a piece of leftover cornbread with a little maple syrup for breakfast. (Like many of her ideas, this was inspired by a story in one of her well-worn A Beka readers.) To my surprise, she and Daniel loved it, and so a new breakfast muffin was born.
Our recipe is based on one I've made for years with just a few "healthier ingredient" changes...
Cornbread Breakfast Muffins
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c. organic cane sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. sea salt
1/3 c. melted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c. buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil).
2. Measure cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and stir together.
3. In a small bowl, stir together butter, egg, and buttermilk.
4. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (don't over mix your muffins!).
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
6. Bake about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool slightly in pan; carefully remove muffins to wire rack.
8. Break a muffin open, add a generous pat of butter, and drizzle on some pure maple syrup...mmmmm! Enjoy!
And yes, of course, you can still enjoy these with your chili! :)
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 22nd installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 29 more to come, stay tuned!)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Muffin Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, This Chick Cooks, 2 Maids a Baking, Healthy Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Living Well Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Feasting in Fellowship Friday, Home and Family Friday, and Savory Sunday