Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Gratituesday - Summer projects update :)


Two weeks ago I posted about a few projects I'm working on this summer and figured I'd share an update...

Anna's skirt is finally complete, but I have to say that it was really something to get it finished. First of all, I laid out the pattern and began cutting without realizing I didn't have enough yardage -- YIKES! That said, I had an extended moment of panic and shot up a quick "Oh Lord, what am I going to do now?!" I realized I was going to have to wing it and set about cutting and pinning and sewing together what turned out to be a rather unattractive big poof of a skirt. Ugh! Anna tried it on and I could tell by the look on her face I'd have to force her to wear it which simply isn't my intention when sewing new clothes for her. :(

After shooting up another quick prayer, I began the tedious job of ripping out the seams. A few adjustments here and there along with the addition of a bit of lace along the hem, and I wound up with an adorable non-poofy skirt for my girl. :)



I picked up the green top at Target for next to nothing (the color matches perfectly!!) and was inspired by this post to add the flower. A quick trip to JoAnn's for some "Wonder-Under" (which I'd never before used) and I was in business. If you look too closely, you'll see that it didn't turn out perfectly (that t-shirt fabric was not the easiest for me to work with), but I'm still super happy with how the flower turned out. I gathered about 2 years of satin ribbon to create the flower's center to complete the outfit.



The most incredible part of this project's story is that my sewing machine developed a bobbin problem as soon as I was finished and had to be taken to the repair shop. I am soooo thankful it didn't happen while I sewing the edging around that flower as it would have been a disaster. Thank you, Lord!!

Another of my summer projects was to organize our spare room and return it to guest room status.

Before...


After...


Better? Definitely. But what you don't see is the end of the room from which this picture was taken (where all our sewing and knitting and soap making and other misc. supplies are kept). But that's another project for another day...

We had a wonderful, relaxing weekend talking and laughing and reminiscing and breaking bread together. :) True friends are those who love you through the years, bear your burdens, and share your joys. T and J, we love you and thank God for you!! And we thank you that you don't mind the mess at the other end of our guest room. ;)

Other project updates will be coming soon. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what y'all are working on this summer and, of course, for what you're thankful!

~~~~~~~~~~

Join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers! Also sharing at Made by you Monday, Kathy's Fiber Arts Monday, and April's Weekend Roundup

5 comments:

  1. Wahoo! You did it girl. The skirt and the room look great. With all the dietary changes and making food for it I haven't picked up the needles lately. But I did get that tangled yarn mess wound into a ball of yarn. I didn't finished that till last night. Many many many hours later. I am thankful I ordered that swift and can't wait for it to wind up my other hanks of yarn. I am hoping to get to my sewing soon. I am cleaning up the craft room so I can start. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - I know what you mean...this week I'm all about lesson planning for the coming school year which means projects have to be set aside for now. I'm able to get a little bit of knitting in here and there, but not much. Looking forward to seeing your progress when you have time to get back to it! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirt and T! Necessity is the mother of invention. If everything would have just been smooth sailing from the beginning you probably wouldn't have ended up with such an original outfit!!

    And the room looks great. I figure that as long as the guests can get in and out of their bed without tripping over my craft stuff they should be thankful! ;) Actually, I live with all of the craft stuff in my room as I don't have a spare room yet...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie - Thanks for your sweet words. :) Our guest room is the former bedroom of our married daughter. A "spare" room is really only a place to dump stuff as is evident from the "before" picture. Sometimes we can have far too much stuff!! Blessings! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...