Monday, July 18, 2011

Muffin Monday - Oatmeal Raspberry Applesauce Muffins


It's raspberry season!!



The kids and I took advantage of the sunshine last Friday to go berry picking at a local farm that doesn't use pesticides. :) We'll be making up a batch of raspberry jam later today and saving the rest to enjoy fresh. I love summer and the abundance of fresh fruit available to nourish our bodies!

Happy, happy, joy, joy! Smile.

Of course we had to use at least a few of our berries to whip up a batch of healthy muffins for breakfast. These are low fat and low sugar, although we heartily recommend serving these warm with butter. :)

Enjoy!



Oatmeal Raspberry Applesauce Muffins
(inspiration here)
makes 12 muffins

1 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 c. rolled oats
2 t. aluminum free baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. unsweetened, organic applesauce
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sugar (organic or Rapadura)
2 T. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c. fresh raspberries (frozen is fine)

1. Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease muffin tin; we like to use coconut oil.

2. Measure all dry ingredients except sugar into a mixing bowl; stir to blend.

3. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg, applesauce, buttermilk, and sugar. Slowly whisk melted butter into the buttermilk mixture.

4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins! Gently fold in raspberries.



5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.



6. Bake muffins for about 15 minutes; check with a toothpick to be sure they're done.



7. Cool slightly before removing muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling.




Bon appetit!



AnnaLynn and I would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 28th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 23 more to come, stay tuned...)

~~~~~~~~~~

21 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! is right! Our raspberries are past - but blackberries are just coming on. Yum - they would wonderful in these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, those are so pretty. I made strawberry muffins today and indulged with some chocolate chips. They are almost too decadent to call them muffins. I love the muffin recipes. I don't have access to raspberries now. I think I could sub some of these strawberries, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda & Sonia - I'm SURE any other in season berry would be equally delicious in these muffins. Enjoy! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your raspberries are beauties as are the muffins. I think, I should do what you are doing and commit myself to a muffin recipe a week. We are a muffin family.

    Thanks for sharing this with us at Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look soooooooooo yummy! Raspberries will be coming soon and also day 29 for me. [o= Then I can make muffins soon. yippee!!

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I always bake with applesauce when a recipe calls for oil.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chaya - Weekly muffins are so easy to do and freeze easily as well. It's nice to have a healthy snack readily available for my kiddos in the mid-afternoon when they start asking what's for dinner. :)

    Mary - So excited for you! You'll have to let me know if you give these a try. :)

    Kristin - Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. :)

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound so yummy! I'll have to see if anyone in our area has raspberries. If not, I'll just do what some of the other commenters suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather - by all means, go ahead and use whatever berries you have on hand! The recipe that inspired these used blueberries...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found you from the Tasty Tuesday linky--the photo drew me in! These muffins look divine. I hope you'll take a moment and share them over at Momtrends' Friday Food Linky. We're always on the hunt for scrumptious treats!

    http://www.momtrends.com/2011/07/best-blueberry-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This may seem like a silly question, but when you say whole oats, do you mean flaked oats or whole oat groats. I have both. I just want to make sure I use the right one. Thanks!
    -Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Valerie - Rolled oats as opposed to quick oats; sorry for the confusion. I edited the recipe in my post to clarify. Thanks! Hope you enjoy these. :) ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look scrumptious! Thanks so much for linking your recipe up at Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful muffin, it looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and please come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder how these would work if you soaked the oats in the buttermilk overnight. I have some marion berries in the fridge. I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heidi - Sounds like a great idea. Please let me know if you try the soaking. Thanks! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. These were really great! My daughter and I like to make muffins too, so I'm glad for a little changeup in the routine. She is excited to try your banana chocolate chip ones this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there,

    Does anyone know the nutritional information for these?

    Thanks! They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, Wish so much I could give you a good answer; I've never taken the time to figure out the nutritional info for any of my recipes, though. Sorry I can't be of help, but maybe someone else will. So glad you enjoyed these! ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...