It's raspberry season!!
The kids and I took advantage of the sunshine last Friday to go berry picking at a local farm that doesn't use pesticides. :) We'll be making up a batch of raspberry jam later today and saving the rest to enjoy fresh. I love summer and the abundance of fresh fruit available to nourish our bodies!
Happy, happy, joy, joy! Smile.
Of course we had to use at least a few of our berries to whip up a batch of healthy muffins for breakfast. These are low fat and low sugar, although we heartily recommend serving these warm with butter. :)
Oatmeal Raspberry Applesauce Muffins
makes 12 muffins
1 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 c. rolled oats
2 t. aluminum free baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. unsweetened, organic applesauce
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sugar (organic or Rapadura)
2 T. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c. fresh raspberries (frozen is fine)
1. Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease muffin tin; we like to use coconut oil.
2. Measure all dry ingredients except sugar into a mixing bowl; stir to blend.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg, applesauce, buttermilk, and sugar. Slowly whisk melted butter into the buttermilk mixture.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins! Gently fold in raspberries.
5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
6. Bake muffins for about 15 minutes; check with a toothpick to be sure they're done.
7. Cool slightly before removing muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling.
AnnaLynn and I would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 28th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 23 more to come, stay tuned...)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared here: Mouthwatering Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Muffin Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Home Sweet Farm, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Healthy2dayWednedays, Real Food Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Frugal Food Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Friday Food, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday