Because we bake with whole wheat flour, you'll notice there isn't a drop of actual "white" in any of our muffin photos below (other than the white of our plates); however, we believe you'll enjoy the delicious flavor of blueberry or raspberry in each and every bite. Enjoy!
Today's recipe was inspired by these over at the Nourishing Gourmet -- click on over if you're looking for a gluten, dairy, and grain free version...
Red, White & Blue Muffinsmakes 12
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. organic cane sugar (can use white sugar)
1 T. aluminum free baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1 egg, well-beaten
2/3 c. buttermik
1 t. real vanilla
1/3 c. melted butter
3/4 c. raspberries & 3/4 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen, coated w/ 2 T. flour)
1. Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil).
2. Sift dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, vanilla, and egg. Slowly whisk melted butter into the buttermilk mixture.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins!
5. Gently fold in floured berries.
6. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
7. Bake muffins for about 15 - 20 minutes until lightly browned.Cool a bit in the pan before removing muffins...
8. Add a little butter and enjoy!
A safe and happy 4th to you all!
We'd love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)
This is the 26th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. (There are 25 more to come, stay tuned...)
Today's Muffin Monday post is being shared at: Mouthwatering Monday, Muffin Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Tuesdays at the Table, Traditional Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Titus2sdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Home Sweet Farm, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Healthy2dayWednedays, Raising Homemakers, Real Food Wednesday, Let's Do Brunch, Pennywise Platter, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday