Monday, August 29, 2011

50 before 50...


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

-Mark Twain

Exactly two months from today I'll be turning 48 -- yikes.

The knowledge that I'm not getting any younger is sometimes overwhelming. I often chuckle to myself as I remember Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith Show bemoaning that she's no spring chicken anymore. Why? Because I can relate. The signs of aging are there when I look in the mirror (is that my dad looking back at me?) and when I try to get up after sitting on the floor. On top of that, my joints are achy, my shoulder hurts sometimes, and just when did the skin on my neck start to look so...old ladyish?

The truth be told, I am loving this stage of life! With no wee ones in the home (my youngest is almost 11), I have both the time and the opportunity to indulge myself just a little bit, to serve others more, to read for pleasure, to learn those things I've always wanted to learn, and to quietly sit and ponder the things of life and God. I've determined to embrace each moment and to live more purposefully, to more passionately love my family and friends, and above all, to grow more and more in the grace and knowledge of my God.

To help accomplish these tasks, I've created a "50 before 50" -- a lengthy list of things I've always dreamed of doing, wanted to do, or put off doing. Some of these will require a little help from my wonderful husband and children, and some will require extreme determination, diligence and perseverance on my part. While I may not be able to pull off a few of these items, there's no time like the present to get started and try, right? I've got 113 weeks. An ambitious task? Perhaps, but I'm up to the challenge!

OK, here goes! I warn you, these are all over the map...

Lisa's 50 before 50 list:

1. Read through the entire Bible
2. Climb Silver Star
3. Climb Mount St. Helens
4. Travel to Europe
5. Visit the Creation Museum
6. Drive across the U.S. with my family
7. Meet in person at least one friend from "blogland"
8. Visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty
9. Take a writing class
10. Write an E-book (on ???)
11. Take an art class
12. Bake the perfect loaf of sourdough bread
13. Make homemade wine
14. Watch all three LOTR movies in one day
15. Finish and publish my knitting and crochet patterns
16. Take a weekend backpacking trip
17. Successfully grow and harvest corn in Dole Valley
18. Butcher a homegrown chicken and cook it for dinner
19. Raise a beef cow (is that the right way to say that?)
20. Own a couple goats for milk and milk them myself
21. Milk a cow
22. Make homemade tomato sauce and can it
23. Lead a Titus 2 Bible study
24. Chop down a tree
25. Raise bees on our property and harvest the honey
26. Sew this jacket and this skirt
27. Add to our family economy with my Etsy and holiday bazaars
28. Finish knitting the lacy shawl I started years ago
29. Sew a quilt
30. Take piano lessons
31. Relearn to play the recorder
32. Crochet a fancy bedspread for my bed
33. Volunteer at Options 360 (local crisis pregnancy center)
34. Dine at the Space Needle
35. Learn to shoot a gun
36. Shoot a deer; fill my freezer with venison
37. Bake an angel food cake from scratch
38. Make a homemade mayonnaise my family really likes
39. Ride a boogie board someplace warm and sunny :)
40. Dry all my laundry on a clothesline
41. Ride through the Chunnel
42. See the northern lights
43. Identify ten major constellations
44. Take my kids on the roller coasters at Kennywood!!
45. Attend a wine tasting
46. Attend a Steelers game. In Pittsburgh.
47. Master dutch oven cooking
48. Write/compile a family history for my children
49. Ride a horse
50. Speak publicly (yikes!)

Well, that's it, folks. We'll see what the Lord has in store for me over the next two years!

A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps. 

~ Proverbs 16:23

Oh, and for the record, I reserve the right to edit this list as circumstances require OR the Lord dictates.  :)

J -- Thanks for the inspiration!! Love ya, my dear, dear friend!

~~~~~~~~~~

This post "on display" at April's Gallery of Favorites.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a very ambitious list! Please keep us all updated as you complete things. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh my goodness! THAT is a list to behold. Well I am not sure if I can make it down to the Oregon Coast next year..it may have to be the next. BUT.... you can hit two birds with one stone and I can meet you in Seattle and then you can go for dinner at the Space Needle. What do you think??? [o= I can go visit my mom and we can meet a blog friend. Hmmmm?

    I have to admit you got me thinking now. I turned 42 and I think I need to write out my 50 before 50 list now. [o= What a great idea, you are so smart.

    I pray that you can meet each and everyone on your list or have a blast trying!

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you've got me thinking! We should definitely try to make this happen. Would be SO FUN!

    If you write up your own list, at least you have 8 years to accomplish it! So many of my items are wishful thinking (climb a mountain, really?), but I've always wanted to do it, so you never know!

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Don't you just bask in the joy of contemplating each of those things? Doesn't it broaden your horizon just a little? It has for me! I will be updating my list later today...I have a few success stories to share. :) I love you too! :) J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J - Amen! The excitement of future accomplishment and adventure is running high around here today. :) Looking forward to your updated list!! ~L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Climbing Mt. St. Helens is so wonderful. I did it with my husband a few years ago. I struggled most just with the duration of the hike more so than the hike itself. I didn't eat right for it. It was wonderful though. Breathtaking from the top. Very worth it. Though I was in my thirties, some of the others in our group were in their 40's and they had no trouble. I'll look forward to you publishing some crocheting patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanna - Thanks for sharing about your climbing experience; it's encouraging! I've seen photos of the view and can't wait to see it for myself! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this post! What a fantastic idea to make a list of 50 before 50 - I'm feeling inspired now! Thank you so much for sharing this with the Gallery of Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a list maker. Whenever we move to a new state I make a list of everything I want to do before we move to the next state. Setting a goal and having it written down is the first step to making it happen. Best wishes on accomplishing your list and thank you for sharing this with the gallery of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Its so fun to see your list and say "oh hey, I've done that!" or "Ohh, I would LOVE to do that too!" ;) Thanks for sharing!! I'm thinking of making a 30 before 30 list, I've got a couple years! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca, I sooo wish I'd done a 30 before 30 list! Hope you share your list! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...