Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gratituesday - It's the little things...



The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.

~Robert Louis Stevenson

There is a certain joy and fulfillment in the little things of life:

The chirping of birds outside my window as night turns to day, the morning mist hanging over the valley, the cool, crisp air (it's 55F here this morning) that greets me as I kiss my hard-working-man goodbye at the door, the quiet stillness of my home while my sweet children sleep, summer flowers blooming in all their glory...

Even the daily duties of life can bring joy and fulfillment when we embrace them:

Spending an afternoon baking a caramel cake and cooking a pot of lentil stew to celebrate Daniel's 13th birthday (when I really wanted to sit down and knit...), creating a to-do list to keep me on track (because I am so easily distracted), watering my many, many plants, preparing breakfast and lunch for Dan before he leaves for work, folding laundry, ironing church clothes, washing dishes, weeding the garden, grocery shopping, meal planning...

It truly is the little things of life--the ordinary and the mundane--that bring contentment!

Not that I never dream. Not that I never desire more. Not that I never wish for a few extra minutes to put my feet up, to read, to study, to knit, or even to nap. :)  But...

The best things in life are indeed nearest when we open our eyes to see them.

How much we miss when our attention is focused on the stars, when we only see the forest and not the trees, when days pass us by as we wish for the future and a change in circumstance, when we miss the joy of today as we press toward a future goal, when we fail to count our blessings, when we neglect the Word of God.

For today and each ordinary moment it brings, I am thankful.

How about you? For what are you thankful today?

~~~~~~~~~~

Join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers! Also sharing at Titus 2sday, Domestically Divine, and Women Living Well

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...