Monday, August 29, 2011

Muffin Monday - Super Moist Lemon Yogurt Muffins




These are how we made it up to the Papa for putting walnuts into last week's muffins. Not that he didn't enjoy them, but in the take it or leave its of life, walnuts would be on his leave it list. One thing he does love is lemon, and so today's muffin will surely be just about perfect. :)

This week's muffin was made using organic plain yogurt and the juice and zest of an organic lemon. Enjoy!



Super Moist Lemon Yogurt Muffins
makes 12 muffins

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. organic sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
zest of 1 large lemon
1 1/4 c. plain organic yogurt
2 eggs
1/3 c. butter or coconut oil, melted
juice from 1 large lemon
1 t. real lemon extract

Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil) or line with paper baking cups.



Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and lemon zest into a large mixing bowl; stir with a whisk to blend.



Whisk eggs in a small bowl; add yogurt, real lemon extract, lemon juice, and melted fat (we used butter this time). Stir until well blended.

Add wet mixture to dry ingredients stirring only until moistened - don't over mix your muffins!

Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full; lightly sprinkle batter with sugar. :)



Bake for 15 - 20 minutes; check with a toothpick to be sure they're done. Cool slightly before removing muffins to a wire rack.



Bon appetit!



We would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 34th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. There are 17 more to come, stay tuned...

~~~~~~~~~~
Sharing this week's muffin recipe here: Mouthwatering Monday, Tuesday at the Table, Tasty Tuesday Titus2sday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, Wise Woman Link-up, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

15 comments:

  1. Oh my! These sound lovely, Lisa! I think I will try these later this week-and I'll get back to you with the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pamela. :) You'll have to let us know what you think! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious . . . do you make up all of these muffin recipes? If so, that is amazing! I'm in awe! I'm a recipe follower, lol. I've never made up my own recipe, and I'm always impressed when others do.

    If you were to pick one muffin recipe for me to try first -- which one would you choose? Do you have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle - Most of our recipes are inspired by others we've found either in our favorite cookbooks or websites. Sometimes, though, we get an idea and go looking to see if we can find a recipe. When we don't find one, we sort of wing it (that is, we go ahead and make one up). :) What I love most about what we're doing is that my daughter is learning to bake and LOVING it!

    Hmmm. Which muffin should you try first? That would depend on your taste preferences. AnnaLynn and I have an ongoing (and ever changing) list of favorites that currently includes our:

    Best Ever Blueberry Muffins
    French Breakfast Puffs
    Applesauce Spice Muffins
    Strawberry Shortcake Muffins
    Mocha Nut Muffins
    Delicious Peachy Muffins
    Maple Oatmeal Muffins

    Hope you find one that your family will enjoy! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just keep amazing me week after week with all these amazing muffins! And you are such a sweetie to your sweetie. Good girl. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lemon, and these muffins just sound so good to me! The yogurt must make them wonderfully moist and delicious too. Thank you for sharing another lovely muffin recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your favorites, Lisa! I'll try the blueberry recipe first, since I have SO many blueberries left in the freezer from our summer picking excursion. : )

    I'm going to try to make as many of these as I can, since I love to bake.

    Sweet blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. those look so fresh and yummy thanks!


    Here's my CHOCOLATE CARAMEL BAR recipe if you want a great dessert to take to functions!

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/08/chocolate-caramel-gooey-bars.html

    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the LOW sugar content - will have to remake these into GF!
    blessings
    http://bit.ly/daNjZ9

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh these look wonderful. I tend to only back sourdough or soaked but will definitely want to try these! Visiting from Nourishing Gourmet. Your muffins always look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every week when I see your muffins, I think well that is my favorite and then here comes another one that will be my favorite. I just want all of your muffins, but I really do like this one! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. These do sound lovely. When our lemon tree is back in production in a month or so, I'll give them a try. During the season we're always looking for ways to use that fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristin10/19/2011

    These look delicious! Could I substitute raw honey for the sugar? Or maybe sucunat? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristin - Sucanat would work great as a substitution, but it will change the flavor slightly (as I'm sure you likely know). About the raw honey, I'm not sure how adding an additional liquid ingredient would work unless you compensated by adding a little extra flour. Hope they turn out for you! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...