Friday, August 12, 2011

White & Wheat Pizza Crust -- {Homemade Pantry}


Finally!

A while back I mentioned starting a new series here on the blog called Homemade Pantry, and I apologize for taking so long to get to it! I've added a tab up top where future entries will be listed, Lord willing. :)

Hope you will be encouraged and inspired to use the ingredients and supplies already filling your pantry and cupboards to try making your own homemade versions of much of what lines the shelves of your local grocery store!

~~~~~~~~~~

Fridays are typically pizza and movie nights for us, so back in the days before I conquered baking with yeast, Dan would stop by Papa Murphy's for a "take and bake" or two on his way home from work -- easy and convenient to be sure. But after I got the hang of working with yeast, I came upon a recipe for "perfect" pizza crust and decided to give it a try.

Let me tell you, if I can bake my own pizza pie, anyone can! Homemade pizza dough is quick and easy, frugal, and delicious! If you make a double or even a triple batch, you can divide it up and freeze it for a quick and easy lunch or dinner another day.

We've had a fun time experimenting with different sauce recipes and have discovered several excellent, healthier (nitrate free) meat options (try Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc.). The nice thing about homemade pizza is that you control the ingredients and can make it any way you want. :) Enjoy!

White & Wheat Homemade Pizza Crust
makes two 12" pizzas or one large pizza

1 T. active dry yeast
1 c. warm water (105-115F)
1 t. raw honey (or sugar)
1 3/4 c. unbleached white flour (Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 c. whole wheat flour (I like to use hard white)
1 t. sea salt
2 T. olive oil

Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in warm water with sugar for five minutes. Add yeast mixture and olive oil to flour mixture and stir together. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (5-10 min.). Alternatively, you can mix ingredients and knead dough in a Kitchen Aid mixer for five minutes. Cover dough and allow to rise about 15 minutes.

If you have made extra to freeze, divide dough, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in freezer bags. To use, unwrap frozen dough and place in a greased bowl. Cover and allow to thaw and rise; knead slightly then proceed as directed below.

Divide dough in half and pat with floured fingers or use a rolling pin to form two 12" circles. Lightly oil pans with olive oil then dust generously with corn meal. Place dough onto prepared pans...



Add sauce, cheese, and toppings of choice...



Bake at 450F for 15-20 or until crust is baked and cheese begins to brown. If baking two pizzas at the same time, rotate them half way through.

Slice and serve with a fresh green salad...



For a yummy alternative try our Chicken Alfredo Pizza...



Bon appetit!

~~~~~~~~~~

Our recipe is based on this one from Bob's Red Mill:

9 comments:

  1. I love love love homemade pizza! I have to get back into the habit of making it on Fridays.( do to that we didn't it grain for a little while. [o= ) I will probably make it every other week starting up this week. Your pictures of your pizza is making my hungry tummy rumble, lol.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade pizza dough is the best! You've just given me an idea on what I am going to make for dinner tonight, LOL! :)

    Just curious, do you make your own pizza sauce as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad we could provide inspiration! :) We do make our own sauce--super delish. I'll share it soonish; when I find time to type it up. :)

    Funny I posted this today; we're actually dining out this evening at a pizza place to celebrate our middle son's 23rd b-day.

    A blessed weekend to both of you! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do homemade pizza every weekend (either Friday or Saturday night). I love making my own crust too, so much better for you.
    My boys love helping with the sauce and toppings. They like to be creative with toppings :)
    So excited about your new Homemade Pantry posts, looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home made pizza is the best!
    I've been making mine lately with my 100% whole wheat bread recipe and it is great! Try it and I think all will enjoy the change of taste...

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hard time even eating take out pizza now! But I must say, I'm going to try your crust recipe. It makes more sense to me. Mine tastes great but there is no rise time even though there is yeast. That has always been weird to me... Thanks!!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea - Our kids love to help w/ the pizza making, too!

    Mike - Thanks for stopping by! We've tried all w/w in our pizza, but this combo seems to work for our tastes. I forgot to mention in my post that I sometimes add garlic and/or seasonings to the crust (as per your recipe)...will have to update my post to share that info!

    Debbie - Hope you enjoy this recipe; there is something truly satisfying in making one's own pizza at home...

    Blessings to all! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! We make our own crusts most of the time, but we still get lazy from time to time. I decided to get smart and when I made the last two pizzas I froze two extra crusts. I'm hoping to keep the trend going because I know there is no telling what we're eating when we opt for take out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shara - Making and freezing extra has almost become a hobby for me when it comes to cooking and baking. It's soooo nice to have something to pull out of the freezer when life gets busy, and yes! It's a good thing to know exactly what's in our food. :) Many blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...