Monday, September 26, 2011

Muffin Monday - Apple Cheddar Muffins

One of my favorite things about the arrival of fall is that it's apple season! We were blessed last week with a bag of freshly picked pears and apples from my sister's orchard (free is a very good price!). After munching on a few of each, we made up a batch of low-sugar pear jam, and, of course, we baked muffins. :)

Pear or apple?

Being out of a key ingredient for the pear muffin recipe we wanted to try [note to self: buy hazelnuts!], we decided on this recipe for apple cheddar muffins instead; we weren't disappointed and believe you won't be either -- enjoy!



Apple Cheddar Muffins
makes 12 muffins

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. Rapadura sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. butter or coconut oil, melted
1 medium tart apple, chopped

Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin pan using coconut oil. Measure and stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, and cheeses into a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, then add the buttermilk and melted coconut oil or butter (we used coconut oil); stir in chopped apple.

Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until blended; don't over mix your muffin batter! [At this point, you'll realize you've forgotten to take pictures, so you should grab your camera... Everyone takes pictures when they're baking muffins, don't they?] Fill prepared muffin pan with batter using an ice cream scoop -- makes it super easy!




Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly golden (ours were perfectly done at 18 minutes). Allow to cool about five minutes before removing muffins to a wire rack. Enjoy these tasty muffins warm with real butter! Bon appetit!



Bet you can't guess what next week's muffin will be. :)

~~~~~~~~~~

We would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 38th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. There are 14 more to come, stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing this week's muffin recipe here: Mouthwatering Monday, Healthy Home Economist, Tuesday at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Titus2sday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, 2 Maids a Baking, Living Well Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

12 comments:

  1. These would go great with the Curried Butternut Squash Soup we're having tonight! And, if I end up not liking the soup (first time and not really a fan of squash!), at least I won't starve! :)

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curry? Mmmm... Gotta love just about anything w/ curry. Enjoy! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on Mouthwatering Mondays. Love this recipe and is going to be made by My Boys and I very soon. Please join us on Thursday's Treasures. <3 and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Lisa, I think I am going to name you - The Muffin Queen! :D

    Delicious!

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Now I have a title. Delicious is the word, Maria. :) Blessings to you, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound TOTALLY up my alley! I grew up with a New England'er dad that we always would put a slice of sharp cheddar cheese on our warm slice of apple pie. This makes me think of that. I WILL make these this week. I will put everything else aside so I can have a taste of this. ((GRIN))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw your link on This Chick Cooks and now I am adding you to my blog reader because I love making new muffin recipes too and can't wait to see what's next! These look great and I would love to try them. But what is Rapadura sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I love cheddar and apple together, I will have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lesa - Welcome! Rapadura is a brand name and is the same thing as Sucanat. Both are unrefined, unbleached whole cane sugars that have a molasses flavor since the molasses isn't separated during processing. The bonus is that Rapadura/Sucanat/whole cane sugar actually has nutritional value! It does cost more than regular white sugar, but it's worth it!

    I should note that plain white sugar can be substituted in ANY of our muffin recipes if you don't have Rapadura in your pantry. :)

    Laura at Heavenly Homemakers has a good post on this topic which you can find here.

    Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!! Thanks for linking up to 2 Maids a Baking!! I wanted to tell you that just the other day my hubby asked that I make him some muffins sometime soon and I told him, I know just where to go for a recipe!! I will let you know which recipe I make for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always remember my Dad loving a slice of cheddar on his apple pie, and you have duplicated the flavour in a muffin! What a great idea. They sound absolutely scrumptious. Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...