Monday, September 19, 2011

Muffin Monday - Whole Wheat Carrot Apricot Muffins

Busy, busy us officially started lessons today, so we didn't get around to baking muffins until this afternoon. Better late than never! This recipe is from a book on nutrition and how food impacts each part of bodies called Nutrition 101: Choose Life! We used this excellent text last year in our homeschool co-op and enjoyed trying the different recipes listed at the end of each chapter including today's muffin.



AnnaLynn turned up her nose (carrots?) a bit when I suggested baking these today, but she would be the first to tell you that they're delicious! Hope you'll give them a try and let us know what you think!




Whole Wheat Carrot Apricot Muffins
makes 12 muffins

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. sea salt
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. raw honey
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 stick butter, softened
2 t. orange juice, fresh squeezed if you have an orange!
1.5 c. shredded carrots (ours were fresh from our garden!)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. chopped organic apricots

Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin pan using coconut oil.

If your honey has crystallized, spoon some into a stainless steel saucepan and warm over low heat until liquefied. Pour into measuring cup and set aside.




Measure the flour, sea salt, and baking powder into a small mixing bowl.



Stir with a whisk to blend.



Pick and shred your carrots. :)




Slice the apricots using kitchen scissors and chop the walnuts (not pictured).



Using an electric mixer, blend softened butter together with eggs, orange juice, honey, and buttermilk; add flour mixture.



Mix on low just until blended; add chopped walnuts and apricots.



Fold in shredded carrots. Don't over mix your muffin batter!



Fill prepared muffin pan with batter using an ice cream scoop (makes it super easy!).



Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until lightly golden.



Remove from pan after about five minutes to finish cooling on a wire rack.





Bon appetit!

~~~~~~~~~~

We would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 37th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. There are 14 more to come, stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing this week's muffin recipe here: Mouthwatering Monday, 2 Maids a Baking, Real Food Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Let's Do Brunch, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

9 comments:

  1. Ohhh I keep looking at ALL these recipes and I haven't had time to try one out yet. ((sigh)) I am hoping to pick one soon and have a home economics afternoon and make them with the boys. [o= Hmmmm now I just need to pick one. Maybe the zucchini or these. Which one to pick?!? They both sound sooo good and I have the makings for them. [o=

    I pray your first day went well and I loved getting a bit of a peek into your home. I have wondered what it looks like.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    PS I have pulled your long neck candle aside. [o=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my they sure look delicious! yum :)

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They DO look delicious! I will definitely be trying these as soon as I can get some carrots and apricots! I love your home-grown carrots!!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the ingredients list and the list of things, these promise to be my favorite!! I won't be able to try them until next week though as I haven't actually left yet! I'm leaving in 1/2 an hour and won't be back until Saturday evening... after the coast I'm being dropped off in the valley for 2 days. The rest of the family will meet me there for the memorial service of a dear friends mom. It will seem as if I am here as I have scheduled posts for the rest of this week. I look forward to visiting again on Monday!!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those look good. I don't usually buy apricots, but I may have to change that habit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! I love that they call for honey, and not sugar. I may just have to bake some this afternoon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you are using honey! My son has been being picky about carrots lately but my daughter loves them! We bought some organic yellow carrots the other day. I haven't made any but hopefully once things settle down we can make some of your recipes! What are you going to do once this year is over, I bet your daughter will still want to make muffins! Thank you for linking up at Healthy 2day Wednesdays! Sorry I have been out of the loop for a bit, we have moved houses! Hope you'll join in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel - What we will do when the year is over? That's an excellent question! See you Wednesday, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing another wonderful muffin recipe with Let's Do Brunch! I love the carrot apricot combination and I always enjoy nuts in muffins. Plus they are nice and healthy with the whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...