Wednesday, September 21, 2011

On my needles... New projects & new reads

New read-alouds and The Help which I finally finished!



Except for a few instances of language which were offensive to me (curse words and misuse of the Lord's name), I LOVED The Help and highly recommend it. For those who have yet to see the movie, I insist that you read the book first! For those who've seen the movie but haven't read the book, you simply must read the book!

The movie was quite good and followed the story fairly well, BUT I was disappointed that in the end (in my opinion), an attempt to build sympathy for a certain cruel character was made -- one who deserved sympathy only in her ignorance. For an excellent review, read this post by Thabiti Anyabwile whose mother was a domestic worker. (Thanks, Pamela, for the tip!)

Current family read-alouds include Dandelion Fire by N.D. Wilson -- the second book in the 100 Cupboards Trilogy which the Papa is reading and Peril and Peace, Volume I: Chronicles of the Ancient Church -- the first in a five volume series on church history which I'm reading. Gotta mix the fun reads with the historical reads to keep things interesting!

While my daughter was in town I put her scarf aside to work on a few easy-to-work-on-while-visiting projects including another beanie. Altogether I got three beanies out of one skein of yarn and used the last of it to crochet a bonnet. Since I ran out of yarn, I'll have to buy a piece of colorful ribbon to use for the tie.



I also worked on an almost-finished brown cowl that needed it's ends woven in and started a blue one with this pattern which I found here (thanks, Mary!). The yarn is Serenity Garden Yarn's "twilight" and is more blue and brown looking than reflected in this photo.



Because this post has gotten much longer than I'd planned for, I'll let the photo tell the story of my current personal reading other than to say that I've read Raising Maidens of Virtue before (when it first was published) and highly recommend it!

Sharing at the Yarn Along and Fiber Arts Monday :)

10 comments:

  1. I love the bonnet, I can just see it with a cute ribbon through the bottom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many people have mentioned The Help -- I'll have to read it.

    Peril and Peace sound fascinating. I hope you'll comment on it as you get further into it.

    Your beanies are beautiful!

    I'm visiting from Yarn Along. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the movie, The Help...now the book is on my list of to-do's!

    You are inspiring me to learn to knit~love the beanies!

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cowl. Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern. Might have to add it to my Christmas list.

    I'm not familiar with the 100 Cupboards Trilogy so I'm definitely going to check it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies! Yes, Kim, you must learn to knit! Fit that in between canning pears, ok?

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are some fast knitter! I am working ohh so slowly on my sock slouch hat. I don't seem to have much time for knitting right now,((sigh)). I do look forward to finishing it and THEN I will finally get to work on on my cowl. [o=

    You do such beautiful work, indeed. Are you selling all of those at your craft fairs?

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mrs. Seifert! Now...I'm sorry if it has taken me a while, but I just now noticed your new blog background/template. REALLY cute. I thought of doing that template once, I don't know why I didn't follow through with it though. I normally see all your posts on Google Reader, so I don't see your designs...But, I guess I'll have to change that!

    You are such a good blogger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lisa! The Help is flying of the library's shelves. I personally don't want to read it, but I know that everyone that has read it, has enjoyed it.

    And I agree with Mary, you are a fast knitter!

    blessings,

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary - Thanks for your sweet compliments. :) Truly, I am not such a fast knitter; I got a lot done when my daughter was here as we did lots of sitting and visiting. The beanies are for my bazaars; the brown cowl I actually made for myself (don't knit for myself too often), and the blue one is for a friend. Hope you find time to work on yours soon!

    Jess - You are too kind. :) I know what you mean about Google Reader; I mainly visit actual blogs when I want to comment! Love, Mrs. S :)

    Maria - I'm not too big on fiction, but my DIL recommended The Help, so I had to give it a try! I'm glad I read it and do highly recommend it.

    Blessings!! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read The Help and had planned to take my mother to see it this weekend but it's no longer playing here.

    Love your little beanies ~ too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...