Monday, October 10, 2011

Muffin Monday - Simple Pumpkin Spice Muffins

An Autumn Greeting

"Come," said the Wind to the Leaves one day.
"Come over the meadow and we will play.
Put on your dresses of red and gold.
For summer is gone and the days grow cold."



If today's muffin doesn't say "fall," I don't know what could. :)



Simple Pumpkin Spice Muffins
makes 12 small muffins

1.5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. cloves
1 egg
1/4 c. sugar (organic or Rapadura)
1/3 c. coconut oil or butter, melted
1 c. pumpkin puree (organic canned or homemade)
1/3 c. milk

Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin pan using coconut oil. Measure and stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.



In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg, then add the sugar, milk, pumpkin, and melted coconut oil or butter (we used coconut oil).



Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until blended; don't over mix your muffin batter! Fill prepared muffin pan with batter filling cups about 1/2 way (we did mention these are on the small side, didn't we? A good excuse to enjoy two...).



Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly golden (ours were perfectly done at 18 minutes).



Allow to cool a few minutes before removing muffins to a wire rack. Don't forget to take a picture of your adorable baking assistant. :)



Bon appetit!



We would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 40th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. There are 12 more to come, stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing this week's muffin recipe here: Mouthwatering Monday, Healthy Home Economist, 2 Maids a Baking, Tasty Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, Living Well Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, Friday Food, and Feasting in Fellowship Friday

21 comments:

  1. So that is why you are sharing such delicious recipes with all of us :D I truly like pumpkin recipes, but I don't know about the pastry flour, I'll use whole wheat alone instead.

    I'll let you know how they turned out :) Be blessed this Monday!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa~
    they're in the oven! I'll let you know as soon as we try one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa!!!

    Ok-these were hearty, healthy and tasty! I did change up the flour to 2/3 whole wheat and 1/3 regular; I think next time I'd do 1/3 whole wheat and 2/3 regular. Also add a pinch more of all of the spices. And a bit of a dusting of sugar on the top as they were baking!

    Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Pamela, nothing like near-instant feedback. :) Thanks! So glad you enjoyed them. Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention that using w/w pastry flour is a great way to get all the healthy benefits of w/w flour with the texture and lightness of unbleached white flour. The brand we have here locally is Bob's Red Mill; I don't know if it's available in all parts of the country...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay girl I got the pumpkin puree all ready! I am going to heat up my sweet home this morning by making these muffins! [o= And guess what?!? I have they pastry type of wheat berries and I am going to use them. Will be back later to share how it went. I got a day off of school and I am going to use it. ((grin)) Yeah I will do a bit of work but I am going to get a lot of knitting in my day. (( happy dance))

    Blessing and ((HUGS))!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know these are going to be right at the top of my list as pumpkin is definitely one of my favorites. I don't actually have a pumpkin muffin recipe (at least I didn't until now) I just add pumpkin and spices to a generic recipe that I have. They are fine but not great. I'm looking forward to trying this. Thanks again!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out great! I am going to post a pic tomorrow. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad they turned out for you!! Looking forward to your pics. :) ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love pumpkin bread and cupcakes. I will definitely try out your pumpkin muffins. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got done making a double batch of these! They are delicious! Once again, thanks for sharing all the great muffin recipes.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tara, I'm so glad your family is enjoying this recipe! I think this one has gotten more feedback than any other we've posted! Thanks everyone!!

    Blessings, ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gonna make some now & add pears, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading about your Muffin Mondays and all the wonderful things you make through knitting. But, what do you do with all of those muffins? At my house, whatever isn't eaten within the first couple of days tends to start getting bad. We freeze ours or give them to friends and family. It amazes me how many recipes you come up with that all look and taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy, We usually have our muffins for breakfast for a couple days and/or freeze them. Thanks for your sweet comment. AnnaLynn and I have a lot of fun looking for and trying new recipes. Since we started at the beginning of the year, my dd has blossomed in the kitchen! Many blessings to you, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello
    what a nice blog .
    wow....your muffins looks so good!!!!!
    thanks for sharing the recipe!
    have a nice day,
    regina
    reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It does say fall indeed, the cupcake looks warm and cozy. I love the poem and the apron is great!
    Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pumpkin muffins sound delicious and I like that they use Whole Wheat flour too. Great spice combination as well! Thank you so much for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch. I'll be giving these delicious pumpkin muffins a shout out in this week's post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats for being featured in today's Healthy 2Days Wednesday link-up! I am guest hosting the hop today for Rachel, and she let me choose the top 3 posts! Thanks for entering, and I hope you will visit and link up today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a good recipe, I like the low amount of sugar. I'm a muffin lover!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pumpkin makes me happy too! And love the adorable baking assistant. I have a 9 year old one that loves to cook with me. :o)

    Thanks for linking up to Friday Food on Momtrends.com!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...