Monday, November 28, 2011

Muffin Monday - Gingerbread Muffins

Now that Thanksgiving is past and we've entered into the season of Advent, it's time to break out all those favorite Christmastime recipes that typically are baked in December! Like the pumpkin we used in last week's muffin recipe (pumpkin pecan muffins), we actually enjoy a little gingerbread throughout the year and hope today's recipe will inspire you to do the same. Happy baking!



Gingerbread Muffins
inspiration here
makes 12 delicious muffins

1 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. baking powder, aluminum free
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 c. coconut oil, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 - 1/3 c. molasses (depending on how strong you like it)
1/3 c. Rapadura sugar (optional)
1/2 c. boiling water
organic sugar to sprinkle on top, optional

Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with paper baking cups. Measure flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices into a large bowl; stir with a whisk to blend. In a medium bowl, mix together egg, applesauce, melted oil, molasses, and sugar (we say the sugar is optional since we forgot to add ours (oops!) and they still turned out great!).




Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients.



Then carefully add the water...



...and stir just until blended; batter will be on the thin side.



Using an ice cream scoop, fill muffin cups about 2/3 with batter. Generously sprinkle tops of muffins with organic sugar -- optional but highly recommended!



Bake for 15 - 20 minutes; check with a toothpick to be sure they're done.




Cool in pan for a few minutes before removing muffins to wire rack.




We hope you'll enjoy these mildly-flavored gingerbread muffins! We adjusted our recipe to up the molasses from 1/4 c. to 1/3 c. for a slightly stronger flavor which we prefer (this based on recipe comments at the above link).

Bon appetit!

We would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 47th installment in what will be, Lord willing, our year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins. There are 5 more to come, stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~

Proudly sharing this week's muffin recipe with: Mouthwatering Monday, 2 Maids a Baking, Far Above Rubies, Titus 2sday, Tasty Tuesday, Growing Home, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Healthy 2day Wednesdays, This Chick Cooks, and Simple Lives Thursday 

12 comments:

  1. Lisa~
    These look really good!
    And I made the pumpkin muffins! They were de-lish...2 thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked them!! Thanks so much for letting us know.

    Blessings, ~Lisa & AnnaLynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa...I love most any muffin with ginger in it :-) For some reason I can't see any of your photos in this post, not sure why. Oh well, maybe they'll be visible to me later!

    I received my soap and washcloth today...oh, wow, that scent is heavenly! And I love the colors of the soft cloth...just lovely!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Blessings,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lori! Thanks so much for letting me know your soap arrived. I'm so glad you like it and hope you enjoy it and the washcloth. :) I'm not sure what the trouble with the photos is as they're showing up on my computer here and on my Google Reader. Weird. Anyone else having trouble seeing the pictures?

    Many blessings, ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sounds soooooooooooooo good! I am a gingerbread lover. [o= I have all the makings and will get going on these in the next day or so. Missing you.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary!! Hooray! I got my pictures reloaded. :) You'll have to let me know how these turn out for you if you do make them. Enjoy, my friend!

    Blessings, ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Just followed you :-) Lovely pics! I know the time it takes to put together a blog post like this ... great job!

    http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/11/chocolate-cheese-ball-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I've been wanting to try some recipes with the ginger in my cupboard since I haven't used it much yet! Found your post through Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday and pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds yummy and I bet the the kitchen smelled wonderful!! Thanks for sharing on 2 Maids a Baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of these gingerbread muffins. The ingredients would give a lovely depth of flavour, and I like that you can adjust the molasses to taste. Thank you for sharing another delicious recipe with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm - ginger anything gets my attention and these sound very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy muffins Lori! Gingerbread anything makes my mouth water! Your daughter has grown up so much since I first "met" you at one of the first H2W link up! Only 5 more muffin recipes huh! After your done you should compile them into a ebook to offer your readers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...