Monday, December 26, 2011

Muffin Monday - Chocolate Peppermint Muffins

Welcome to the 52nd Muffin Monday here at Happy in Dole Valley -- we did it! 52 Mondays, 52 muffins. :)

So did you all have a wonderful Christmas yesterday? We spent the last three days in fellowship and celebration with family and attended worship on Sunday morning before opening gifts on Sunday afternoon. Christmas dinner was roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy -- a recipe I'll have to share with you since the Papa says it's the best roast I've ever made. :)

Christmas always seems to take so long to get here, and then before you know it, it's time to plan for and ring in the new year. Like many of you, we'll be spending this final week of 2011 cleaning up from Christmas, planning school for January through June, organizing our pantry and food storage, and setting priorities and goals for 2012.

And now for today's recipe... These chocolate peppermint muffins are a little sweeter than we usually make, but they truly are a delicious treat. To cut down on the sugar, you could reduce or leave out the chocolate chips and/or reduce the Rapadura sugar from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup. Enjoy! And Happy New Year!!



Chocolate Peppermint Muffins
 makes 12 muffins

1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. butter (melted at low temp.)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 c. Rapadura sugar (or other sugar)
1/2 c. unsweetened baking cocoa
1 t. baking soda
1 1/4 t. real peppermint extract
1/4 t. sea salt
1/2 c. miniature chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F and line muffin pan with paper baking cups. In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, peppermint extract, and egg, then slowly whisk in melted butter.




Stir in flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.



Stir until just blended -- don't over mix your muffins!

Using a ice cream scoop, divide batter evenly among muffin cups; sprinkle tops of muffins with a pinch of organic sugar (optional).

Bake 15 - 20 minutes; check with a toothpick to be sure their done.



Cool 5 minutes; remove muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling or enjoy warm.



Bon appetit! We would love to know if you give any of our muffin recipes a try. Let us know how they turn out or if you put a different spin on them. :)

This is the 52nd installment in what was our utterly delicious year-long muffin adventure: Muffin Mondays! 52 Mondays, 52 Muffins! Thanks so much to each of you for joining us this year and for making our adventure so much fun. It's been a true blessing getting to know so many of you via the blog! As we shared on Friday of last week, we'll be continuing to share muffin recipes every other Monday in the new year, Lord willing of course, so stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~

We're sharing this week's muffin recipe with: Homestead Barn Hop, Tasty Tuesday, Titus 2sday, Teach Me Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, WFMW, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, This Chick Cooks, Women Living Well, JATW, Pennywise Platter, Sweet Tooth Friday, Feasting in Fellowship Friday, and Sweets for a Saturday

14 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa...you and your daughter are just lovely! And the muffins, well let me just say, that they are the highlight of my Monday! :)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your muffins always look delicious!!! Hope you had a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *SMILES* I loved hearing your voices! I miss you my friend! SO looking forward to seeing you in the flesh soon!
    I love you all!
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try these muffins... my daughter will love you for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends, Thanks for your sweet words. :)

    J - Love back to you! I'll be in touch later this week to set up a get together in January. Sooo looking forward to it! ~L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and peppermint? Oh, My!!! What a wonderful way to finish out 52 weeks of muffins!!

    Thanks so much for all your comments at Homestead Revival this year! Hope your 2012 is very blessed indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of these - chocolate and peppermint are such a yummy combination. Thank you for sharing them, LIsa, and also for all your support of the blog hops I have been involved in this year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy.
    I'm hosting a Best of 2011 blog hop and would love to have you come and link a favorite post of 2011
    http://www.shandaoakleyinspires.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year. This is one great muffin to end the year with. I am glad you shared it with us at Let's Do Brunch. We always appreciate your contributions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness - I know 3 little boys who will love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really good muffins! Would love to include it in my event. If possible, please go through the rules of my event Jingle All The Way and link your post there.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh I LOVED your New Years video. [o= And I can't wait to make some time to make muffins soon. I keep hoping...maybe it will happen now that I am not frying so much food. [o;

    I can't wait to see what you will do next.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. those sound great and I love the idea of the 52 muffins so I will have to go back and read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for participating in Jingle All The Way. I’ve posted the Roundup here. Do have a look.
    Also, I’m hosting Kid's Delight - Something Sweet for Jan 16th-Feb15th 2012. I would love to have your posts linked there. :-)
    -
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...