Monday, January 9, 2012

Almond Poppy Seed Muffins (and a word about flexibility)

Happy Monday! Happy 2012!

Now that I've spent the past two weeks putting my house in order after the delightful whirlwind of festivity that was November and December, I'm finally ready to dive back in to the normalcy of routine and schedule. Having said that, life will surely not go exactly according to (my) plan (does it ever?), and that's where flexibility comes in. I've never been very good at bending or flexing, but I sure am better at it than I used to be. And I thank God for that!

Making this year's Muffin Monday an every-other-Monday event, as we shared here, will certainly provide us with flexibility in our kitchen -- what if the husband wants scones? or pancakes? What if life doesn't go according to (my) plan and we just don't have time to bake or share a recipe?

All of this to say that if, on occasion, two or more Mondays go by and we're not here sharing some deliciousness from our kitchen, everything is exactly how it should be. Perhaps not according to my master plan, but certainly according to the Master's plan. And not that I'm expecting that we won't be here every other Monday sharing with you, but life happens!

Thanks so much for joining us in the kitchen again this year! AnnaLynn and I are looking forward to baking and cooking our way through 2012 and sharing what we learn along the way with you. :)

And now for today's deliciousness...





Almond Poppy Seed Muffins
makes 12 small muffins

1/3 c. organic sugar
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 t. almond extract
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. milk
1 1/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 t baking soda
2 T. poppy seeds

For topping:
2 T. sliced almonds
1 t. organic sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin pan (we like to use coconut oil) or line pan with paper baking cups. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, melted butter, egg, and almond extract. Add the sour cream and milk and stir until blended. Measure in the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and poppy seeds, and stir until just blended. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups -- this recipe does not make a lot of batter, so start small. You can always go back and add more once you get some batter in each muffin cup. :) Sprinkle sliced almonds over the batter, and, if desired, top each off with a pinch of sugar.

Bake for 13 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned; check with a toothpick to be sure they're done. Cool slightly before removing muffins to a wire rack. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing here: Mouthwatering Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Far Above Rubies, Raising Homemakers, Let's Do Brunch, Women Living Well, Pennywise Platter, Full Plate Thursday, and Simple Lives Thursday

Growing Home

5 comments:

  1. I hear you on needing flexibility! And this muffin treat looks really delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting better at flexibility too...although I'm still finding it challenging! Love these almond poppyseed muffins! I'm really intrigued by the addition of the almonds (one of my favourite nuts) and the ingredients are really wholesome too. Thank you for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sounds delicious. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and delicious looking muffins
    I wouldn't mind having one to two for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that word flexibility and love it even more when I can apply it to my life. I look forward to your wonderful muffins that just melt in your mouth! Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...