Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Planning...

He who fails to plan, plans to fail.

Where there is no vision, the people perish. ~Proverbs 29:18

It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.


We spent the day yesterday putting our house back in order after the Christmas holidays, and I have to say how nice the return to normal is. The house looks like itself again, and we're taking our time getting back into a normal daily routine. How nice, indeed! I always function better when every thing's in order -- makes it so much easier for me to think.

It's a new year, and that means it's the perfect time to think, to plan, to set goals, to cast a vision. Those of you who know me know that means making lists -- lots of lists (and a schedule, of course).   :)

A new year is a clean slate. We're given the gift of twelve months, 52 weeks, 366 days (an extra day this year -- bonus!), but how will we spend them? What will we do with the time we've been given? When the closing days of 2012 arrive (and they will), will we look back with regret or with gratitude? Will another year have gone by without attempting to realize our dreams, or will we at least make steps toward accomplishing them?

Dan and I took the time yesterday to sit down together and discuss our goals for the new year. The question we asked ourselves is this: When we look back on 2012, what is the number one thing we hope to have accomplished? My husband's answer? That we have walked with God. That we have grown in our sanctification. That we have been in the Word. That we know HIM better. That we know His Word better.

In addition to our spiritual growth, Dan's vision for our family in 2012 is productivity. Specifically, to make our small homestead more productive. Plans for the year include raising a new batch of hens to replace our aging layers, raising meat birds (and processing them right here ourselves!), expanding our garden, digging a root cellar, and researching goats.

Of course, we talked about other areas needing our attention including improving our health through diet and exercise, our ever-present (and ever-growing) list of household repairs and to-dos, continuing to develop our food storage, refining our homeschooling goals, how to reach our financial goals, etc.

The list making has begun -- what do we hope to accomplish? to read? to learn? What places do we hope to visit? The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps. ~Proverbs 16:9

What a blessing it is to plan. Can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for us in 2012!

I'll be sharing more about our plans in the coming days, Lord willing. In the meantime, wishing you all a blessed, healthy, and prosperous new year!

~Lisa :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Linking up with Simple Lives Thursday and...
don't forget to join me for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers and...

A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-HomeGallery of FavoritesPhotobucketTeaching Good Things

6 comments:

  1. I love how I can actually picture that conversation with Dad, you having your list and making a new one! MISS YOU!

    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you back. :) Lists...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    I found your blog via your comment on Mary's Little Corner. Your blog is a wonderful encouragement. I am your newest follower and look forward to reading future posts. I would love for you to stop by and "visit" me sometime. :)
    Many blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you and your husband made New Year plans together as a couple. I think that's a very important step in family planning. I think that I will ask my husband what he's like to accomplish for the New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a exciting year to come! I can't wait to see it unfold for us and we can encourage each other in the journey. Our God is so exciting and I love catching His waves and that is what we are on.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites, and also for sharing your plans for 2012. I love the CS Lewis quote you have used - it's wonderful, and so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...