Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Garlic Parmesan Pasta {What's Cooking Wednesday}

Last Tuesday I promised to share the recipe for my garlic Parmesan pasta, so here goes...

I've made this recipe a number of times as is, but last week I wondered if it would work as well if I switched things up a little bit. So... I substituted water for part of the milk (to cut the cost -- it worked!). I also substituted grated Parmesan for the shredded cheese and added a healthy shake of black pepper and some minced garlic. The result? A new family favorite. :)



Garlic Parmesan Pasta
makes 4-6 side dish servings

2 c. milk
1 c. water
1/4 t. black pepper
1/2 t. sea salt
2.5 c. - 3 c. pasta (regular or whole wheat)
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 t. or so garlic powder)

Bring milk, water, pepper, salt, and pasta to a slow boil in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and to allow pasta to simmer, still stirring occasionally, until pasta softens and the milk is reduced to a creamy consistency (takes about 10 minutes).

Turn down the heat to low, stir in the Parmesan cheese and garlic, then simmer another minute or two to allow the flavors to blend together. Serve as a side dish or top with chicken for a main dish -- enjoy!

Note: To make it a meal, I sauteed a few boneless skinless chicken breasts in olive oil along with some garlic, black pepper, and a generous amount of Italian seasonings. With the addition of a simple green salad -- deliciously easy peasy!

Now wouldn't this pasta recipe make a terrific healthy substitute for these?

                       

Homemade means no msg and no artificial anything -- just the way I like it. :)

Visit our Homemade Pantry page for more "healthier version" ideas -- save money and avoid all those nasty artificial ingredients by making your own from scratch! 

~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing this week's recipe with...
Food on Friday
Day2Day Joys
Mouthwatering Monday
Domestically Divine
Hearth & Soul Blog Hop
This Chick Cooks
Full Plate Thursday
Simple Lives Thursday
Pennywise Platter
 

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this!!! This is a recipe that we can even make for Luke. ((happy dance)) I can use goat milk and goat Parmesan and it would be perfect. Got to show hubby this recipe and get the makings for it. [o=

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome! Hope your family likes it -- yum!

      Delete
  2. I'll definitely try to make this meal. My husband's favorite food is pasta in any variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made this last night for his dinner, and he enjoyed it. I say "his dinner" because on Wednesdays Charis and I go to prayer meeting and the family that host prayer meeting usually provide dinner for those who attend.

      Delete
    2. So glad! Thanks for taking the time to share. :) ~Lisa

      Delete
  3. yummy! can't go wrong with garlic and parm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy!

    I think this link will take you to the child's poncho.

    http://lemondedesucrette.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/about-ponchos-and-pattern-d/

    My photo isn't so great, but it is a basic granny type deal. The chord is a chain made with multiple strands of yarn and woven through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to the poncho pattern, Shara! I'm going to try this for my daughter to wear for Easter. :) Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. It looks delicious. I would use no pasta :(, due to my grain free diet, but I think I can substitute with spaghetti squash. Something to try :)

    Thanks for sharing my friend,

    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be curious as to how you would modify this recipe for spaghetti squash. I, too, am off grains for the next few weeks, but not for for the same reason as you, Maria, anyway, it does make me curious...

      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Delicious I like variation in pasta dishes. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful plate of food, your Garlic Parmesan Pasta looks delicious. That is a great recipe! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yum! This is next on my "try this' list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. The current Food on Friday is all about pasta and noodles! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking in to Food on Friday: Pasta and Noodles. We are getting a fantastic collection of all things pasta and noodles.
    I am now signed up to follow you. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...