Sunday, February 5, 2012

Simple Buttermilk Muffins {Muffin Monday}




Today's muffin comes to us from my all-time favorite cookbook, Betty Crocker's Cookbook (mine is the 8th printing, 1983). A gift I received when just 19 years old, this is the cookbook I learned to cook from and from whence the inspiration for many of our family's favorite recipes came. Jessica learned to cook using this cookbook, and now AnnaLynn is as well. :)



No, she's not that tall. :)


Simple Buttermilk Muffins
makes 12 delicious muffins

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. organic sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. sea salt
1 egg
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease muffin tin (we like to use coconut oil). Measure dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a whisk. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg; stir in buttermilk and melted butter until blended.



Add wet mixture to dry ingredients stirring only until just blended (don't over mix your muffins!). Evenly scoop batter into muffin cups (about 3/4 full each). Bake until lightly golden brown, 15 - 20 minutes (ours took 16 minutes); check with a toothpick to be sure they're done. 




Cool slightly then remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.



These are delicious warm with butter or you can enjoy them (like I did) plain; the buttermilk flavor is subtle and the sugar provides just enough sweetness.

I plan to bake these again (soon) and will try soaking the flour in the buttermilk when I do since soaking grains before baking one of my kitchen goals this year. Will update when I do to share how the soaked version turns out, but in the meantime, I'm curious to know what cookbooks have most influenced your cooking and baking through the years. Please share in the comments!

Happy baking!

~~~~~~~~~~

Proudly sharing with: Mouthwatering Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Teach Me Tuesday, Titus 2sdays, Raising Homemakers, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Simple Living Weds. Pennywise Platter, Prov. 31 Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Encourage One Another, Feasting in Fellowship Friday
Hearth & Soul Hop

20 comments:

  1. Great job, Anna Lynn!

    (and love the admonition sign on the door! perfect!)

    the muffins look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pamela! Funny thing is, the admonition is for me. :)

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, Lisa! And how wonderful to have a helper in the kitchen with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am enjoying the process of teaching AnnaLynn to cook; she's becoming more and more proficient week by week. :)

      Delete
  4. Once again -- yummy! We've been making muffins and freezing 4 from each batch so that I can pull them out when we need a quick snack or for the guys when I can't be here. These look like some we should add to our growing collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! We've baked double batches before and stuck them individually wrapped into the freezer which works well for us. They make a great grab and go breakfast or snack! ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  5. The muffins look delicious! The pictures of Anna Lynn are SOOOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! I love the buttermilk jar. Is that leftover from making butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, we currently make our own buttermilk by culturing organic whole milk with a small amount of buttermilk; it's a real money saver! Thanks for dropping by! ~Lisa

      Delete
  7. I have baked this Lisa...and they are truly delicious!

    Thank you for sharing :-)

    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome! Glad you liked them. :)

      Delete
  8. Those looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have my Mom's Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from the 1950's and I have always loved it. I used to go through it as a little girl, looking at the table settings and dreaming of hosting ladies' luncheons! The pictures are a bit faded now, but the recipes are still tried and true. Thank you for sharing your Buttermilk muffins with the Hearth and Soul hop. They sound like a lovely recipe - the simplest things really are often the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound yummy!!! Adding them to my list of breakfast ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so great that you're showing her how to cook - I'm sure the memories you're making together far outweigh anything you actually cook.

    That being said these muffins look out of control. And I see from the comments that you're making your own buttermilk great idea! Thanks for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna Lynn, I love your Buttermilk muffins, this is a great basic recipe that can do a lot of different things. I love you standing on the stool, I still have to stand on the stool when I knead the bread. Hope you are having a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Anna's little feet! so yummy thanks! http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-favorite-valentines-day-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look wonderful..thanks for sharing I am pinning them on Pinterest and putting them on my to do list this week. Love the stool, we have one of those for my little guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Janette. :) Thanks for pinning our post! ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...