Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Simple Cinnamon Scones {What's Cooking Wednesday}

On Monday I promised AnnaLynn that we'd actually post something for What's Cooking Wednesday this week since we only shared one post in this series in January (and one post a series does not make!). What can I say, life happens. Anyway, scones seemed like a good recipe to try since they're one of my 2012 Kitchen Goals. Why we've never made scones before is a question without an answer. No reason, really. We just haven't.

Wish we hadn't waited so long! Scones are easy to make and delicious to eat. Our recipe, adapted from Jean Pare's Muffins & More, makes twelve scones. Bon appetit!



Simple Cinnamon Scones
serves 12

2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. organic sugar
1 T. baking powder, aluminum free
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 c. cold butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 - 1/2 c. milk

Topping (optional):
1 - 2 t. milk for brushing tops
Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.



Stir dry ingredients together then cut in butter until crumbly.






Add milk to egg; pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients. Stir with a fork to make a soft dough.




Ok, this is where it got tricky for us. The original recipe calls for 2/3 c. milk which made a really sticky dough -- we had to add almost a half cup of flour before being able to proceed. We don't have pictures because our hands were too sticky! See, we promised we'd share what worked and what didn't. :)

Pat dough into two 6" rounds on prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little milk; generously sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (we keep this on hand for toast -- mix 1/4 c. sugar with 1/2 t. cinnamon).



Score each top into 6 pie shaped wedges (we forgot this step...oops!). Bake for 15 minute or until risen and golden brown. Since we didn't score ours, they came out of the oven looking like giant snicker doodles. :)



The instructions say to split and butter them. We sliced ours with a knife and decided to try them without any added butter.



These really did turn out quite well even though we had to add additional flour. I was concerned they'd be tough, but they really weren't. We'll be baking these again this Saturday while the papa is home so he can enjoy them fresh from the oven, and when we do, we'll be using less milk (according to the measurements I gave in the recipe above). We'll also be more generous with the sprinkling on of the cinnamon sugar as we used it a little too sparingly this time. I'll update this post if the recipe needs it. In the meantime, please let us know if you give these a try or if you have any scone baking suggestions for us. Thanks!




 Hearth & Soul HopGrowing HomeOur Simple FarmMiz Helen’s Country CottagePhotobucket

Also sharing with the Pennywise Platter

15 comments:

  1. We make chocolate chip scones quite often in this home, and I've made pumpkin scones once. I'll need to try these, while remembering to be careful with the amount of milk I put into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let us know if you do try these, Mara. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. Oh they look sooooooooo good! You two are so talented in the kitchen. Hmmm maybe I can convince AnnaLynn to make something yummy when we come down to visit in the fall. [o= September sounds like it's going to happen. ((happy dance))

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be looking forward to meeting you in person, Mary! :) ~L

      Delete
  3. These look great! I'll try them before the week is out!!

    Thanks for the terrific recipes, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look simple and delicious! I make Scottish scones every now and then and this reminded me of a comment I wrote on Facebook awhile back. "Something about eating a Scottish scone with organic green tea makes me sit a little straighter in my tray." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the sweet comments, ladies. :) Please do let us know how these turn out for you if you do happen to bake them (and don't hesitate to share any advice as baking scones is new to us!).

    Blessings, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tutorial! Into the kitchen I go. Yesterday, Erin came down the stairs and smelling cinnamon said, "are you making scones?" The answer was no, and she was disappointed. I hadn't thought to make them for her today... she thanks you!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious. Great helper you have! . I know my husband would love this. We have a tasty mushroom jalapeno quinoa recipe that is awesome. Come over and visit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love scones and I'll try these. Thank you for sharing. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your scones look lovely - I love how they rose up like that, and your description of them as giant Snickerdoodles really made me smile :) I'm so grateful that you shared the ups and downs of this recipe, and what worked and what didn't. I think it really encourages people to try new recipes! I would really like to try these - I love the idea of the cinnamon in them, and they look so wonderfully light. Thank you so much for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! We're definitely going to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scones are a favorite of mine. If I can't eat my mother's blueberry scones Panera is a close second. They have an orange scone which is my favorite. I'm going to try and play around to make them myself. I'm eager to try this one. Thanks for the heads up on the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnnaLynn, where is the rest of my scone? I would just love these scones, warm with butter and maybe some jam, I am so hungry. You did a great job and this is a great recipe! Hope you are having a wonderful week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...