Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Garlic Parmesan Croutons {What's Cooking Wednesday}

Before I share my crouton recipe, bear with me while I share what's been keeping us busy in the kitchen. Have I mentioned that I've got a sourdough starter going? Hard to believe, but it's already been three weeks since I stirred that flour and water together in a jar... Faithfully feeding it morning and evening makes for lots of discarded starter, so we've been enjoying sourdough waffles, pancakes, and even muffins. (Once I get the muffin recipe the way I like it, I'll share on a Muffin Monday.)  Now that my starter is over three weeks old, I tried using it to bake some sourdough french bread which turned out only "ok" -- edible, but not great. It was plenty "sour" but just didn't have enough rise yet. I'm working on it, though, and will share when I have some success. :)



And now on to today's recipe which is Garlic Parmesan Croutons (made, incidentally, with sourdough bread). Enjoy!

My husband's mom (yes, that's my MIL) makes the best homemade croutons. Years ago she graciously shared her recipe with me, and I've been making these ever since. This quick and easy recipe is the kind where I never measure the ingredients (except the four slices of bread, of course). They're delicious, and I think that once you make a batch you'll never ever go back to store bought. Really.



Garlic Parmesan Croutons

4 slices sourdough or French bread, cubed
extra virgin olive oil
garlic powder
onion powder
Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 375F. Arrange bread cubes evenly over the bottom of a baking sheet or pan (do not use non-stick as the croutons will over brown).



Drizzle olive oil over bread cubes until most of the cubes seem to have been hit with a spot of oil. I usually drizzle back and forth across the pan one way and then the other (side to side and then top to bottom--make sense?). Then, depending on your personal taste preference, sprinkle seasonings and Parmesan cheese over cubes, stir with a spatula, and place pan in oven.



Bake for 15 minutes, stirring at five minute intervals.

Cool completely, then store in an airtight container. You have my permission to nibble on a few while they're cooling. :)

Enjoy on top of your favorite green salad -- these taste especially delicious with our Easy Peasy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. Bon appetit!



~~~~~~~~~~

Visit our Homemade Pantry page for more "healthier version" ideas & save money by making your own.

Happily sharing here:

Simple Lives Thursday
Healthy2dayWednesday
Pennywise Platter
Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways
Encourage One Another
Hearth & Home 
Our Simple Farm A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest

17 comments:

  1. Been doing homemade croutons for a while and you are right about not wanting store bought after you have had homemade! But I was so excited to find the Easy Peasy Ranch recipe. Can't wait to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it, Sonia. Thanks for dropping by! ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. That looks yummy and will go on my coming to do in the kitchen list. You always have such yummy things going on in your kitchen!

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love the way croutons can take a plain salad and give it that wow factor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm slowly making my way through your recipes! Haven't found one that we haven't liked, yet! Thank you for sharing all this yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sue, and for leaving such an sweet and encouraging comment! Many, many blessings to you and yours, ~Lisa

      Delete
  5. So simple? Why hadn't I tried this before? Thanks Lisa, I'll think of you while enjoying my salads from here on!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! (I was just over at your "place" leaving a comment...too funny!) ~L

      Delete
  6. I just love homemade Croutons and your Garlic Parmesan Croutons look very good! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious croutons, i can sense the smell. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is exciting about your sourdough starter! I will look forward to hearing about how you get on with it. We haven't had croutons at home for a long time, so I'm looking forward to trying your recipe, especially with the cheese. I absolutely adore croutons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, Someday when I get over to England, we'll have to have lunch together -- salad will of course be on the menu, and I'll make croutons for you. :) I've been super busy in my kitchen of late; playing with my sourdough and look forward to sharing what I've been baking and learning along the way. Blessings! ~Lisa

      Delete
  9. Looks delightful. You're so talented, friend. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine. Hope all is well for you and your family, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  10. Yum! Thanks for sharing at Healthy 2Day Wednesday; come back tomorrow and see if you were featured!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound wonderful! I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing at the Farm Girl Blog Fest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Dole Valley and thanks for the kind comment! Hope you enjoy these...they are a family favorite around here. :) Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...