Monday, March 19, 2012

Maple Spice Muffins {Muffin Monday}

We had snow again this morning (can. not. believe. it.)!

From the looks of the national weather map (U.S.), it appears that the entire country is well on the way to enjoying spring and even summer-like weather except for us folks up here in the Pacific Northwest. But it is, in fact, the last official day of winter, so I guess it's fitting that we woke up to snow. After all, cool weather puts us in a perfect mood for baking.



Today's muffin recipe was inspired by one from The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. You're going to love the way the flavors of the banana, vanilla, maple syrup, and the toasted walnuts in these combine together for one of our favorites so far -- these really are that good. Oh, and about the cookbook, you should see how many pages we've bookmarked for future Muffin Mondays -- stay tuned!



Maple Spice Muffins
makes 18-24 muffins

2 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. quick oats
1 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder (aluminum free, please)
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1 c. chopped & toasted walnuts
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. real maple syrup
1/3 c. Rapadura sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 stick butter, melted
1 overripe banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 400F and line muffin pan with paper baking cups. Mix together dry ingredients (including walnuts) in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla, melted butter, and the mashed banana. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients stirring only until just blended -- don't over mix your muffins!

Fill muffin cups 2/3 - 3/4 full (depending on how many muffins you want to wind up with), and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly browned. Check with a toothpick to be sure they're done, then cool several minutes before removing to finish cooling on a wire rack. Of course you're going to have to try one while they're still warm -- smothered with butter like we did... 






We'll be back in two weeks with our next Muffin Monday recipe; in the meanwhile, visit our Muffin Monday tab for more tasty, nutritious recipe inspiration. :)

Bon appetit!

Happily sharing this week's recipe with these kind hostesses:

Pennywise Platter
Far Above Rubies
Whole Foods Wednesday
Simple Lives Thursday
Frugal Days
and...

Hearth & Soul HopOur Simple Farm Gallery of Favorites

10 comments:

  1. Ooooo~I'm going to make a gluten-free version of these!!! Yum!!!

    Don't put your baking utensils away just yet...sounds like we're in for another round on Wednesday! I'm kind of done with the snow for now...my seeds need dirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, You'll have to let me know how they turn out! So glad you're able to adapt recipes to be gluten free. :) More snow? I hadn't heard that...what will be, will be. :) Blessings, ~Lisa

      Delete
  2. Lisa~these look so great-I'm making them today!

    Sorry about your snow! :( It's supposed to be 80 degrees in N.E. Ohio today! Yippee! (And truly unseasonal for us!)

    Thanks for ALL of your great recipes!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, Thanks, my friend! I have to say how jealous I am of your warm weather. As I type I can hear my ds stocking wood for our stove -- we're expecting more snow this Thursday and Friday! Take care, ~Lisa :)

      Delete
  3. Those muffins look very yummy! Thanks for sharing them today at Whole Foods Wednesday, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of these muffins with the maple syrup and the walnuts, and the spices are lovely. The Bed and Breakfast cookbook sounds wonderful too. Thank you for sharing another delicious muffin that is also good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/15/2014

    Hello! I am new to healthy baking and have a few questions...Can I just use whole wheat flour or does it have to be pastry flour? What is Rapadura sugar (I've never heard of it)? And can I just omit the nuts...my son has an allergy? Thanks and I look forward to your response :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, to answer your questions, the nuts? omit! Rapadura is an natural type of cane sugar that retains much of the nutritional value and has a mild molasses flavor to it; it is also known as sucanat. We use it as a brown sugar replacement in recipes and love it. :) We like to use w/w pastry flour in our quick rise baking as it has a lighter texture than regular w/w flour; however, you can sub w/w for it. You may want to cut the total amount slightly to avoid too heavy of a texture. Happy baking! ~Lisa

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2/08/2016

    These muffins are very wholesome but since I wasn't familiar with the type of sugar , I used raw turbinado sugar and chopped pecans rather than walnuts. I also added a small amount of fresh pineapple then about 1/2 tsp of ginger. I added a couple Tablespoons milled flax seeds for fiber. I added additional items like these since there good for my father who has cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rapadura is also known as sucanat! Your additions sound delicious and I hope your father enjoyed them...so sorry he is ill. :(
      xo Lisa

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting; your kind thoughts and questions are always welcome. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...